XXVII

Your POV

One day. That's how long Grayson has left. You wanted more time with him, more opportunity other than what you were told to have.

Bettleman came back the day after the incident, content with your choice to break it off with Grayson. Your desk was cluttered with files that Dirk needed you to move into newer folders.

He was currently going around the second floor, visiting all leaving patients; Grayson included. He didn't bother asking if you'd want to come with, probably knowing it'd be awkward. He most likely also did not want you seeing Grayson.

You sigh as you take Emily Watkins's file from the old maroon folder, placing it into the new manila one. You wrote her name on the tab and set it aside, on top of the others.

As you do you this with many more patients, you realize you don't know any of them. Not their faces, stories, backgrounds. Nothing.

You were too consumed in Grayson to even begin to meet your 'patients'. They weren't really your patients because you were not a licensed psychiatrist, but you planned on going to college for it.

Speaking of college, you received an admissions letter from UCLA and were more than happy to email the head of Admissions to confirm your interest in going.

You wondered what it would be like in College. Would it be much different from High School? Just basically a live-in High School, right?

You shrug your shoulders absentmindedly and pick up the next file... Grayson's file.

Bettleman told you that when you find it, you need to put it on his desk so he could put it in the other filing cabinet with the people's files who have died/left/etc.

You cautiously open it, knowing you've only seen it once. You never got through the investigation pictures. They didn't capture your attention. Now they did. You breathe in slowly, turning the basic information page to the investigation photos.

You gasp and cover your mouth with your hand as you stare at the mutilated man in the picture. He was on the floor, blood surrounding his body. The multiple stab wounds scattered his chest and torso, only the knife was left sticking out of his lower abdomen.

Grayson did this?

You go through the photos of the man, Troy, seeing the wounds from different angles. Man, Grayson really did a number on him. You didn't feel the affects of sadness until you saw her.

Stacy. Her bright blue eyes were open and lifeless in the photos. Your tears started to fill the brim of your eyes.

You sniffled slightly as you looked through those photos, seeing the red rubber tourniqet tied around her neck. Her body was bound to the chair, so she had no way to save herself.

She couldn't have talked him out of it?

The bandana around her mouth probably made it harder to breathe. "Oh my God" you choke out, seeing the large diamond on her hand in one of the not-so-close-up pictures.

They really were engaged. He probably loved her so much...

You go back to the first page, slipping all of them into the new manila folder. You wrote Grayson's name at the top and made a small curl at the end of the 'n' in Dolan. You didn't know why, but maybe it'd make him seem less scary than he is.

"Y/n, have you seen the-" Dirk asks as he bursts through the door. He stopped his question as soon as he made it to his desk, picking up the stapler. "Found it" he smiles, heading back out of the room.

You smile slightly and wipe your eyes, hoping he didn't see your tear-stained cheeks. The door opens again and he comes back inside, peeking at you, "are you alright?"

You look up at him from your files, nodding your head with a fake smile, "just peachy, Dr. Bettleman."

He nods his head and walks into the room fully, walking to you.

"Are you sure?"

He was a foot from your desk now, "yes. I'm alright, thank you for asking." You clear your throat and begin to ask, "can i-"

"Yes" he says immediately.

"But you don't even know what i was going to say."

"You were about to ask if you could take the rest of the day off?" He says, making it sound like a question.

You shake your head slightly, "i was actually going to ask if i could leave and get come coffee. Would you like some?"

He shakes his head no, "you may go. Stay home until your shift tomorrow. All of these files can wait" he says, leaving the room.

You whisper as the door shuts, "thank you."

Grayson's POV

Bettleman was making rounds throughout all of our rooms, making sure we were ready to leave. Making sure we had everything. Leaving nothing behind that we would maybe miss.

He was coming to my room next. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped my room. I don't really want to see him either.

I was just about to change my clothes when i heard a knock on the door. Luckily i didn't start to change yet. I slowly trudge to the door and open it, seeing Bettleman with an annoyed look on his face. "Mr. Dolan, how are you today" he asks, walking into my room. He could've asked first.

"I'm fine."

He raises a brow at me quizically, almost as if he were studying me. "Yeah, you and Miss Y/l/n" he comments, looking around the room for anything misplaced.

"Excuse me" i ask, not wanting to hear him talk about her when i'm not even allowed to see her.

He raises his head, looking my in the eyes, "Y/n said the same thing and she, as well as you, was not 'fine'." He puts his fingers up to air quote the word fine.

"She wasn't okay because you told her to stop seeing me" i seethe, clenching my fist beside me.

He clicks his pen, walking back toward the door i was standing beside, "we're done here." He says with a fake smile.

I groan as he shuts the door behind him, knowing i should've done something. Anything. I can't not be with Y/n.

I can't be with Katrina. There's one person in the way of me and Y/n ultimately... Bettleman.

"What are you going to do?" The voice asks me.

I feel a dark smirk creep on my lips, the tugging of the corner of my mouth curved upward.

"I'm gonna kill him."

Word Count: 1108