Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Karl parked his white Toyota Innova a few blocks away from the hotel. Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody blasted on his stereo, his head moving along with the beat. He’d always loved Queen. He and his wife used to buy concert movies featuring Queen and watched them the whole day. His wife. His lovely, withering wife. Don’t mess up or you’ll end up shopping candles for your wife, he remembered the man saying. He immediately snapped into game mode, took his binoculars out of his bag, then watched the front of the hotel. The lobby was clear, and so was the banquet. After a few minutes, the man, along with the woman, walked to the banquet. He flipped his phone open and pressed speed dial.

“News?”

“They headed down the banquet just now.”

“All of them?”

“No. Just him and the woman.”

A pause. Then: “Hold your position. Do not engage. Keep up with the surveillance. Once they leave the building, follow them.”

“Gotcha.”

****

Lucas’ phone rang, piercing the silence that served as his temporary refuge. He bolted up, turned on the lampshade and fumbled for his phone.

“Hello?” he greeted, his voice hoarse.

“Mr. Santiago, they’re all here. You can come up anytime you want,” the man replied.

“We’re coming now,” he said, as he fumbled for his shirt. He pressed the end button and looked up another number. After three rings, the man answered.

“Philip?” he greeted. “I need to rent one of your cars.” He explained and gave him the location.

“The sedan will be waiting for you at the hotel’s entrance after ten minutes,” the man replied.

Lucas ended the call and looked up another number. The man answered almost immediately. 

"Attorney Velasco," Lucas said. "Prepare the paperworks. We'd have to meet up sooner that expected."

"Meet me at home. I'll meet you there as soon as I get off the plane," the man replied. 

Lucas said thanks and hung up. He fumbled for his shoes and went outside the door.

****

Karl almost drifted to a sleep when he saw the black sedan park in front of the hotel. Of course, sedans were not unusual in this part of the city. What stood out, however, were the people coming out of the hotel. He adjusted the binoculars’ lens and hit pay dirt. It was the target along with his three companions. 

“Jackpot,” he whispered to himself as he shifted the car’s gear and drove silently.