Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Bertha inhaled deeply, the smell of freshly trimmed grass massaging her nostrils. Shades of purple started to rip the indigo sky, indicating that it was almost sunrise. The porch at the upper floor of her house seemed to vibrate as her left leg shook uncontrollably--a nasty habbit she mimicked from her father. 

Being the only child, she was used to doing things her way. Her parents, while both diplomats, never meddled with her affairs. They let her decide on her own, and let her suffer the consequences on her own as well. They taught her how to be independent, and albeit the hard way, she learned quickly. Every parent should be like that, she thought. Let children do things their way. Let them make decisions on their own, and let them wriggle out of deep mud on their own.

When she decided to marry Fernando, both her parents just nodded in unison. But as she was walking down the isle toward the altar, the look on their faces were unmistakable. She remembered looking at them, her smile plastered in place, but they just stared at her blankly; their expressions as merry as a woman with a really bad case of dysmenorrhea. 

To her, Fernando wasn't so bad. He was, in fact, a great husband. He catered to all her needs. Hard to admit, but Fernando turned out to be good for her ego too. Aside from the fact that he was admired by the public, he was also a walking bag of money. Everything he touched turned to money. Heck, he'd just raise his eyebrows and chuh-ching, lo and behold, there was money. Bertha turned from middle-class pretty girl to high-class socialite. Fernando was the trophy husband, and she was the perfect trophy wife. 

But as they say, secrets eventually crawl their way to daylight. 

It started with his secretary, the bimbo with shapely derriere. Bertha was on her way to his office, clutching the new Omega watch she bought him. She opened the door and saw them on his desk, doing the mambo minus the choreography. She threw the watch at them and stormed out of the office. Fernando didn't even bother to run after her. That night when they got home, he comforted her with soft words; words so promising and heart-warming that even the devil would saw 'awwwww' and tear up and blow his nose onto a handkerchief. 

Their marriage suffered since then. From time to time, Fernando would throw his frequently used lines, lines like 'I need to work overtime' or 'I need to go out of town for a meeting' and 'don't worry it's just for a couple of days.' But Bertha knew. Bertha knew it too well. Her husband's rendevous went on and on like a broken disc, and she grew numb. She got used with Fernando's unusual vice--swapping women like socks. Eventually, she ceased to care. It's just a need, she thought. He needs pleasure and thrill and whatnot, but she knew he loved her; only her--until Samantha.

Calling Samantha beautiful would be an understatement. Her beauty was divine. For the first time, Betha felt threatened. She was on the losing end. So she did what every other sane individual would do: she played dirty. 

"They're here, madam," a gruff voice said, bringing her back to the present. She turned around and spotted the scar adorned face and the purple suit. It was Billy.

Bertha nodded. Ringo had called her a while ago, pleading for help. She looked at Billy and nodded. Their plan had worked.

After her child died, Ringo started to distance himself from her as far as possible. Their then cordial relationship as body guard and confidante withered into dust. She couldn't blame him. He was, after all, always on Fernando's side. He remained loyal to Fernando; like a dog blindly following his master around.

"Should I usher them here?" Billy asked.

"No," Bertha replied. "Tell them to wait downstairs."

Billy nodded and limped out of sight.

Bertha turned her head to the purple skies, the sun already peeking out; a symbol of a fresh start. She turned and walked back toward the house, thinking if a fresh start would be enough, or if finally, after all these years, she would have to pay a great price.

She guessed the latter.