Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The drive wasn’t long. Ringo parked the car in what seemed to be an abandoned warehouse. They were all silent, including Anton. His hands were sweaty, and his knees buckling. He didn’t know what lay await for him there. They walked along a dark path, to the further end of the lot. There was a single door, lit up by a single light. He can hear screams emanating from the room, and wondered what was happening inside. Winter edged her way towards him, and held his hand. By the feel of it, she too, was afraid.

“Wait here,” Lucas said, patting Anton’s shoulder. He wanted to protest, but judging on Lucas’ face, he knew he shouldn’t.

Lucas and Ringo went inside the room. Ringo knocked once, then the door opened. They both slid inside, and as they did, Anton caught a glimpse of a man tied to a chair, blood dripping all over his face. Anton was repelled by the sight, taking a step back. 

“Please,” the man whimpered. “Please, no more…” 

Then the door shut closed, muffling the screams of whoever was inside that room.

****

“It’s him,” Richard Lopez said, gesturing to the man tied to the chair. “He gave us a really hard time finding him. The bastard’s as sly as a snake. Managed to slip our surveillance the first time. We got lucky, though. One of our men was strolling down Ortigas Avenue, and found him. We had to maximize all our man power just to catch him.”

“Please…” The man begged. His eyes were swollen, his lips cracked. Lucas assumed the man’s going to die of thirst anytime soon.

Lucas ignored his pleading. He went to the desk, picked up the folder, and opened it.

“The results came in just this morning,” Richard said.

But Lucas never heard the man. When he saw the paper, he nodded to himself. The paper confirmed what he already knew.

“Are you okay?” Ringo asked. 

He nodded. "It's confirmed."

Ringo blinked and went for the door. Lucas patted his shoulder and stopped him.

“It’s better if I tell him,” Lucas said.  

Ringo nodded. "Go."

He went for the door and saw Anton inside the car, his head down. He lifted his head and when he saw Lucas, he opened the car door. Lucas swirved to the left, away from Anton, and pulled out his phone. He looked for the number and dialled. On the fifth ring, a woman answered. 

"It's him," Lucas whispered.

****

Karl settled on one of the bushes across the street. He steadied his weapon and surveyed the area. His arms were getting numb. He was reaching for his cigarette when the man came out the door, carrying a white folder in his hand. Droplets of sweat were trickling down his brows as he struggled to pull his phone out of his pocket. He hit speed dial. 

"He knows," Karl said.

The voice on the end of the line breathed. "Kill him."