Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Lucas was making his way to Anton when he heard the door slam shut. He turned and saw Ringo, making his way to him. Lucas waited for him. When Ringo finally caught up, Lucas patted his back.

"We need to contact the lawyer. We have to--" 

That was when gunshots pierced the silence.

“What the—” Ringo managed to say, then stopped. He felt hot liquid dribble down his hands. When he looked down at Lucas, his eyes widened.

“No…” he whispered. “Dammit, no!” he exclaimed.

Blood spurted from Lucas’ torso. He clutched the wound, but blood was still slipping through his hands. Another shot rang, hitting Ringo's thigh. He shouted, but not because of pain. Rage was consuming him now, making him numb. He pulled Lucas to the side and laid him there. When he looked up, the men from the room were scattering in panic, gun drawn. But in a few seconds, Ringo witnessed as they fell like twigs one by one. At first, he couldn’t understand what was happening. Then reality hit him. Someone was firing at them. He stood up, ducked for cover, and half ran half limped to the car. When he reached the car, he yelled for Anton.

“Anton!” his voice was barely audible. Cement splinters burst in the air. Gunshots were still being fired. “Anton! Where—”

“We’re here!” Anton replied, sticking his head through the car window. “Get in! Hurry!”

Ringo almost did. But he had something to do first. 

“Ringo! Come on!”

“Start the car, Anton! I’m going back! I have to bring Lucas with me!”

Anton started to open the car door, but Ringo held it firmly. A bullet pierced the car’s side mirror, almost hitting Ringo again. 

“Stay there and get the car running! If I don’t come back after two minutes, drive away!”

“What? No! We’re not leaving you!” It was Winter who exclaimed.

“Just do as I say!” he yelled as he ran back to the room.

****

“Lucas!” Ringo exclaimed. “Get up! Get up, dammit!”

“I… I can’t,” Lucas whispered, blood now dripping down his lips. He reached for Ringo’s lapel and held it firmly.

“Listen to me, Ringo," he winced, “run. run and get them to saftey...”

“No! you’re coming with us!” Ringo pulled him upright, poising to carry Lucas fireman style. When he gripped Lucas on the waist, he screamed.

“Stop!” Lucas yelled, wincing. “Stop! Please, I can’t.. Put me down.”

“No! I can’t! I have to keep my promise to your father. Come on Lucas, we can—”

Lucas held his arm and looked him in the eye. His breathing was labored now, and he was coughing. 

“That’s why you need to leave me, Ringo,” he whispered. “To fulfill your promise to my father,”  he smiled. 

“No,” Ringo pleaded, his eyes welling up. 

“Do it,” Lucas whispered, then his eyes closed permanently.