Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Alice was baking cookies. She had finished her contract being a volunteer nurse in a hospital in Iloilo City, and went back to the city she loved: Manila. The smell of baked butter wafted the air, making her jump from her seat. She hustled to the kitchen and opened the oven, and cursed because the handle was too hot. She took out a pot holder and was about to open the oven again when the doorbell rang.

“Hold on,” she said as she turned the oven off.

The doorbell rang again, once, twice, thrice. “I said, hold on!” she yelled.

She sprinted to the door and opened it. When she saw the woman standing, her eyes widened.

“Winter?” she asked.

“Hi.”

Alice fixed herself subconsciously.

“Why are you here? I mean, what brought you here?” she asked.

“Is this a bad time?”

“No, no. Of course not,” she gestured toward the house. “Come in.”

“We need help, Alice,” said Winter, getting to the point.

“We?” 

“I have a couple of friends with me and…”

Alice waited for her to continue.

“It’s been a rough day, Alice,” Winter sobbed. “I’m sorry for disturbing you, I shouldn’t have…”

“No, it’s okay. Get them inside. I baked some cookies,” she smiled and gestured to the door. 

“Are you sure it’s okay?” Winter’s eyes were welling up now.

“Pretty sure. Where are they?” She asked, her eyes scanning the road. When she spotted the car, she cursed.

“Is that your car?” she asked. The car was a mess. All the windows were broken, there were skid marks on the door, not mention bullet holes. "What the hell happened to you?"

“I’ll explain later,” Winter said as she turned away. “For the mean time, will you please help us get our friend out?”