Chapter 4

Mary

I watched Adelaide and Steve talking. I sighed, how those two aren't together I'll never know.  They're adorable... I thought as I saw them link arms and go walking funny. I laughed silently. They were doing their 'we're off to see the wizard' thing.

"They really should be together shouldn't they?" I jumped at the voice. I turned around to see Bucky, which immediately set me to blushing lightly.

"They should," I began, and then I got an idea. "We should get them together for the dance!" I said excitedly.

Bucky looked at me thoughtfully, stroking his imaginary beard. "Ok, but on one condition." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"You go to the dance with me," Bucky said. 

I squealed internally but pretended to consider. "Hm," I said which began to make the poor man nervous. "I would love to go with you Bucky," I said smiling.

~*~

Adelaide

After school, I decided to wait for Mary. Steve by my side, and I was very curious whether Bucky asked her to the dance.

I saw her walking up to me. Arm in arm with my brother, and still, I waited patiently. Steve nudged me a smiled on his face while he wiggled his eyebrows at me. I smacked his arm, "Hush you!"

He laughed, "It seems that your matchmaking worked." 

"That it does. Oh, they're coming over." I said smiling. "Sooooooo?"

Bucky looked at me weird. "Whaaaaaat?" I smacked him.

I looked at Mary expectantly and she began to laugh softly, "he asked me to the dance."

"Oooooh, that's what Lady meant," Bucky said to Steve.

I smacked him again. "Ow! I swear, Little Lady. You hear everything." Bucky said rubbing his head.

I smiled cheekily. "I also know when you're lying. Mwahahahahahaha!"

Steve and Mary burst out laughing at Bucky's face. Then Mary grabbed my arm. "Well, Adee and I are going dress shopping." She waved at the boys. "See ya later!"

~*~

"How about this one?" Mary asked me. She was holding up a bright red dress, that had a questionable neckline.

I giggled, "It almost looks orange." 

She through her hands up, "we're never going to find a dress that both of us like."

I smiled trying to reassure her. It seems it worked as she went to go look for more dresses. I sighed, I was beginning to loose hope. That is until I spotted the perfect dress for each of us. 

I ran over to the rack. They were almost identical in style, but they had two different colors: One was a pretty navy blue and the other was a mint green. 

These were perfect.

"Mary! I think I've found something," I called her over.

She came and gasped, and then hugged me tight. "I do believe Adelaide, that we have our dresses."

(note: polyvore apparently went down long ago and I just didn't notice. I am trying to add descriptions of the clothing as I go along, but it takes a very long time to edit everything. Thank you for your patience and reading :) )

~*~

Mary and I were walking to my house, I needed to grab my shawl to go with my dress. We decided to put the dresses at her house because there would be less of a chance of the guys seeing them.

When I got there I saw Bucky and Steve. And Steve looked like he was sick, I walked over to them. "Steve, are you ok? You look pale." I said concerned.

He turned red. "I'm f-fine. Just fine," Steve said. I narrowed my eyes at him. Why are all guys so weird.

I shrugged and turned to Mary, "I'm going to go and grab my stuff for the dress, then we can go to your house."

She nodded. "Take your time." She looked over at Bucky. Her eyes were twinkling happily, and Bucky looked up to no good. I shrugged it off, nothing out of the ordinary there. 

I walked upstairs and went into my room. When I opened the door I gasped. Candles lay scattered throughout the room, basking the room in a romantic-albeit fire hazard- light. My curtains were closed, and on my desk were a dozen roses. I went over to the roses, there was a note attached and it read:

We're off to see the wizard...

Even when life fools me best,

your smile helps me rest.

It shines like the sun in the day,

your eyes reveals all the words I want to say;

please be alongside with me,

let me hear the words you speak.

All I want to do is look you in the eyes,

Because there's a deep feeling for you I can not deny...

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Lady,

Would you do me the honor of going to the dance with me?

I looked at the letter with big smile on my face, I jut got asked to the dance! I squealed girlishly, in the worst way possible, I just got asked to the dance by Steve!

I got up and did a twirl. Then I remembered that he was downstairs, so I ran down in a rush. When I got to the bottom, I saw him. He looked so nervous. Then I ran to him and tackled him in a hug, due to us both not being very tall...

 We both fell over.

"I would love to go to the dance with you, Steve," I said simply. His face broke into a grin. I am the luckiest girl alive!