Chapter 23

SENATOR BRANDT, I REGRET TO INFORM YOU, CAPTAIN STEPHEN G. ROGERS WENT MISSING BEHIND ENEMY LINES, ON THE THIRD AREA. RECONNAISSANCE HAS PROVEN UNFRUITFUL AS A RESULT, I MUST DECLARE CAPTAIN ROGERS, KILLED IN ACTION.

_________________________________________________

        Peggy walked up to Colonel Philips. "The last surveillance flight is back. No sign of activity." She told him. 

        Philips turned to the corporal. "Go get a cup of coffee, corporal." 

        "Yes, sir." The corporal said leaving quickly.

        Philips turned to Peggy. "We can't touch Stark, he's rich. And he's the army's number one weapons contractor. You however, are neither one." He said. 

        "With respect, sir. I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers did, either." Peggy told him. 

        "What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions. I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy, and a lot of other good men and women are dead. 'Cause you had a crush." He said. 

        "It wasn't that. I had faith." Peggy said, slightly annoyed that he would say that. Captain Rogers is engaged to her best friend. 

        "Well I hope that's a big comfort to you, when they shut this division down." Philips said. They heard a commotion outside. "What the hell's going on out there?" Quickly walking out they were met by most of the soldiers that were captured. And a very much alive Captain Rogers. 

__________________________________________

Adelaide

        I walked with Steve, Bucky and the rest of the men who escapade up the hill. We made it out. We approached camp and were met with a bunch of people. "Some of these men need medical attention." Steve said. 

        "Medic, I got wounded." I said gesturing to the men behind me. 

        "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action." Steve said stepping forward away from me and to Colonel Philips. I saw Peggy beside him smiling. I resisted the urge to wave at her. 

        "That won't be necessary." Philips said. 

        "Yes, Sir." Steve said surprised. 

        Then Philips turned to Peggy. "Faith, huh?" Then he walked away. I wonder what that was about. 

        Peggy came up to Steve and I. "You're late." She said. 

        I smiled. "Couldn't call my ride." Steve said. 

        "Hey! Let's hear it for, Captain America." Bucky shouted. I laughed and hugged Steve giving him a kiss on the cheek. 

___________________________________________

I am honored to present, this medal for valor. To my personal friend. Captain America. Captain America? Captain, that's your cue.

I thought he'd be taller.

_____________________________________________________________

 (http://www.polyvore.com/untitled_31/set?id=126659738 Adelaide's outfit.) 

       I walked out of the room from my interview. I made sure Steve wasn't in there with me. He didn't need to know what happened. I told him everything that was important. I didn't want to tell him about the men who I watched die because of me though. I told them everything I went through, and I also told them everything I could about what Schmidt and Zola were working on.