Chapter 8

I was still sitting on that bench.

I didn't know how much time had passed since the guard had left. But it felt like forever. And it was silent, except for the guards changing in their shifts. Only three shifts had happened so far. So probably three hours.

Strange.

A powerless princess, who posed absolutely no threat, was being watched over by about a hundred guards. And that princess had headaches, too.

These headaches irritated me a lot. I'd had about fifteen, some large, some small. But I was able to ignore them. Why?

I was hungry.

And thirsty.

I'd been out for a whole day, so no nutrition there. I was practically fainting here. I could barely move my limbs.

It had been worse.

After Juniper's death, I'd been out for nearly two, or three, weeks. I had nearly died.

My mother would have loved it.

I was growing hungrier and thirstier by the minute, and even the air was tasting stale. I knew that if I didn't get anything, I'd likely be out for another day.

Luckily I didn't have to wait long. As if on cue, a guard ran up with a tray in his hands. Without saying anything, he slid the tray on the floor, under the bars, and ran back to his post, wherever that was.

Trying not to look too eager (because who knew who was watching from a window or a secret passage- this palace was full of them), I walked over to the tray. It was covered in a plate. I reached out quickly and grabbed the plate.

I shrieked.

It appeared that the plate, too, was made of iron. Great.

I breathed deeply, cradling my palms. A red line had appeared on them both. I was a recipient of the soon-to-be King's hospitality, it seemed. 

It didn't matter. I had to eat.

I pulled my sleeves over my hands and pushed the plate. On the tray was a loaf of bread, and, next to that, a jar of water.

I thanked the Forest Spirit Nalvia for the provisions, however small they were. I grabbed the jar (it wasn't iron), and took a long swig. But not two. I didn't know how long I'd have to subsist on that one jar. Then I grabbed the loaf.

I had no reservations about eating the whole thing. Better it be in my stomach. I'd get more.

Long story short, I devoured it.

Soon I was satisfied. My hunger wasn't completely gone, but it had settled.

Unfortunately, this also turned my attention to other matters. Like what was going to happen next.

Soon, maybe half an hour later, I heard the telltale click of Forreston's boots and Ivy's soft footsteps.

I tensed.