Chapter 78

I turned to glance at Maple- I mean, Tulip Wisteria, standing next to her me, her fake sister, Calla Wisteria.

Her hair was long, blond and wavy, and her eyes beautiful pink, taken from the flower of her fake name. My own hair was short, blond and curly, my eyes darker purple and my skin very pale. At least we looked somewhat like siblings. Though we felt nothing like ourselves.

Aiden and Arden were, quite appropriately, brothers, going by the names of Beech and Cullen Amaranth. Their eyes were light green. Arden's hair was a strange, dull shade of brown, while Aiden's was a curly, light, sandy brown.

Well, at least no elf would recognize us.

We had walked around the Forest, till we reached the entrance of the palace, so it would look like we'd come through the town without really having to. So the plan was, Maple and I would walk up first, asking for jobs as maids. If we succeeded, Aiden and Arden would follow a few hours later, to avoid arousing any suspicion.

"Good luck." Arden whispered. We nodded at them. Maple grabbed my hand and we strode purposefully toward a guard at the gate. "Your business?" He asked grumpily. Maple cleared her throat. "We've come looking for work as servants, good sir."

He narrowed his eyes, looking at us carefully. I tried not to feel to nervous about this, telling myself that anyone who came to the palace nowadays would be under suspicion, it was only normal. He leaned back. "Your names?"

"Tulip and Calla Wisteria." Maple said quickly, indicating herself and then me. He grunted. "Go in." He turned and shouted, "Elves looking for work as servants!" The gates creaked open slowly, and Maple led me through.

I let myself breathe. Was it really that easy? We stopped at the huge doors, two more guards opening them. Another guard stood there to escort us. As we walked in silence, I heard only the sound of guards' armor. The maids did not chatter, and I noticed there were much fewer of them. Possibly why they were letting us in.

He showed us to a room I didn't recognize, in the east wing. It wasn't that large, nor well decorated. It was quite plain, with only a table, two chairs and a cupboard.  We waited there in silence, not daring to say anything, afraid of being overheard. After some time, the door was pushed open. In came a short, plump man with a round, serious face. Five guards stood at his back.

"Ladies." He said courteously. "Am I to understand you are looking for work here?" We nodded in unison. He cleared his throat and continued, "Well, as you must know, due to the present state of affairs, every elf coming in for work will be carefully inspected. Can't be letting rebels in, now can we?"

We didn't say anything, unsure of where this was going. "So, I hope you won't mind if we subject you to a small test?" Maple and I exchanged worried glances. A test? What test? He noticed. "Not to worry, it's nothing painful. I will begin by asking you a few questions, then someone higher up will come and examine you. Let's begin."

I swallowed nervously. He cleared his throat again, and began, "Why are you here?" Maple answered. "Our parents passed away a few years ago, so we have to provide for ourselves. We live in a distant town, and when our house had to be sold, we came here for work."

He nodded and continued, "Any connection with the rebels." Maple answered again. "No." He nodded once more. "Your reigning Monarch?" She hesitated for a moment, then responded, "King Forreston, Nalvia save him."

She said it with ease, even managing to sound sincere. The elf nodded at me. "Why doesn't she speak?"Maple looked at me willing me to say it, but I couldn't. Not just couldn't, wouldn't. The words refused to come out of my mouth. They were wrong.

I knew I was putting us in danger, but I couldn't say it. No way was I ever going to accept Forreston as King. Not happening. Maple quickly realized I wasn't going to say it, and aid hastily, "She's mute, Sir."

I nodded quickly. The elf's eyebrows contracted. "Mute?" Maple nodded convincingly. "Yes, Sir, that was why we were unable to provide for ourselves. No elf was willing to employ her. But at the palace, everyone is so much more benevolent and kind, and we were sure they would."

She said it sweetly, making it nearly impossible for him to refuse. He grunted. "Alright. I will confer with my superiors and be back."

He, along with the soldiers, exited the room. Maple glance at me, but we both didn't say anything. I could see the understanding in her gaze, though, which prevented me from feeling too bad. The silence was stifling.

Finally, after nearly half an hour, the door swung open again. The plump elf entered again with the five guards behind him. "You have passed this. Now you will be examined by- it is a great honor, you know- by the Queen Mother herself."

Queen Mother?

He turned and left, but two guards remained behind to escort us to another room. I didn't understand, despite Maple's panicked look, the urgency of the guards, the increasing finery, the solemness of the maids.

They left us at an ornately decorated door, and Maple knocked. "Come in." An icy voice called, and suddenly it all made sense.

Queen Mother.