Chapter 16

I'd been escorted back to my dungeon by a regular guard, not of the Council. I was sitting on that hard stone bench, tapping my feet anxiously against the floor.

The sick feeling in my stomach didn't feel like it was going anytime soon.

It was still morning, which meant that Ivy had the whole day to punish me. To me, all it meant was that I had no idea when she would come and I was kept in suspense.

Which was probably part of her plan.

I couldn't stand it. I got up and began pacing back and forth in my small cell, my hands clasped nervously against my stomach.

Footsteps, soft and quick, echoed down the stairs.

I stopped pacing to see Maple running down. "Mape!" I cried in relief as she reached my cell. "What happened?" she asked breathlessly, putting her hands around mine. "It failed. I failed." "Oh, El." she breathed. "What are we going to do now?" "I don't know." I shook my head. "There's today, and then, tomorrow night, she'll kill me."

"Maybe she won't." Maple suggested, not believing it in the least herself. "Maple, please. You know she will." Maple sighed. "I can't lose you, Elvina." She dropped her voice. "Should we run?" Now I sighed. "No chance, Mape. Seen how many guards she has around here? It's okay. It's just two more days." "Elvina, no, please. We'll do something."

I almost laughed.

"Do what? We can't do anything. Maple, let it go. You'll be fine without me." "I won't. You're my best friend, Elvina!" she burst out. "Maple." I sighed. "I can't let you die. I'll do anything." she said stubbornly.

"How touching." a smooth voice proclaimed.

Maple whirled around, and I looked past her to see Branch, Ivy and Forreston.

My heart dropped to my feet.

Forreston leered at us. "Do anything? What will you do, maid?" Branch said mockingly. "I-I-I'll-" Maple never got to finish. Forreston walked forward and grabbed her arm. "Let go of her!" I shouted. He wrenched her back from the bars and pushed her to a guard. "Take her away." Ivy said, studying Maple carefully. Maple looked at me once fearfully before she was pulled away.

Probably the last time I'd see her.

Now I was alone. Branch opened the bars of my cage for Ivy to walk in. "You ungrateful little-" It appeared she couldn't find a word strong enough for me. She held up her hand and I flinched, but her blow caught me across the face and I staggered back to the wall. "How dare you?" she hissed, coming closer. "Forreston." she held out a leather-gloved hand behind her. He passed her something and she held it in front of me.

She was holding a large iron bar.

I swallowed, trying not to how afraid I was. But she saw it anyways and grinned. "This'll show you what happens to rebels." "I'm not afraid of you, or your threats." I lied. "I think you are." she smirked. "And you are certainly afraid of this." She waved the bar in front of my face. "I am not!" I said loudly.

She laughed.

"Shut up!" I yelled. I couldn't stand her. How could this monster be my mother? Or the mother of my seven older sisters, who were always just, and fair, and kind, and loving? In other words, not at all like her.

Her eyes widened and she stopped laughing. "Perhaps a taste of this will crush that spirit."

The first blow caught me on the cheek.