Chapter 68

"So they were both happy?" Arden asked.

"Yes, Arden." I said, for what seemed like the millionth time. "This is confusing." Maple said, which summed it up pretty well. "This means something happened after Princess Laurel's birth." Aiden said.

"Exactly, but what?" Arden asked. We kept asking the same questions and getting no answers. I, for one, was getting frustrated. What was the point in this? Why couldn't Nalvia just tell me whatever she was trying to show me through these confusing visions? It made no sense.

"Let's just...leave it. There's no point trying to understand what's going on when we have no idea." I said. "You're right. Maybe Nalvia will show you something else which will make it clear." Maple said after a pause. "I hope not." I murmured under my breath. These visions were making nothing but more questions and no answers.

"So, I've been thinking and this seems pretty urgent." Aiden said, without turning around to face us from in front, where he and Arden were walking. "What seems urgent?" Arden asked. Aiden took a breath "Well, I was thinking we'd be really vulnerable if we ever came into contact with soldiers or got captured."

"What do you mean? We can just use the Forest." I said, puzzled. "That's not what I mean. Look, do I have to jut come out and say it?" Aiden asked. I glanced at Maple. "Yes." We said in unison. Aiden puffed out his cheeks and turned around.

"You two need to learn how to fight."

We were all silent for a moment. Aiden looked pretty convincing. We did need to learn how to fight. Maple and I, though we could use the Forest, would be vulnerable to any attack. She hadn't progressed much, and my magic was not exactly very reliable. We had to learn to use the weapons the boys had brought.

"You're right." Arden said finally. "When?" Maple asked, apparently agreeing as well. "We have time now." Aiden said, glancing at me. I shrugged. "I'm willing."

"Let's do it. But if anyone comes by?" Arden said. Aiden closed his eyes. I felt the wind against my skin, and suddenly, golden light streaked upwards, forming a huge dome, so big I couldn't see where it began or ended. The light disappeared, but I knew the guard was still there.

"If anyone comes in, I'll know." Aiden said. I grinned. "Perfect. Let's start."

"Well, we should start with swords. That's basic." Aiden said. He had made us dump all the weapons on the ground, and he and Arden were facing us, like instructors. "So, pick one up." He said. I exchanged a wary glance with Maple, but we both leaned down and picked up a sword.

It didn't feel as heavy as I had thought. But it didn't feel quite balanced either. Aiden and Arden picked up their swords, too. Than they walked over to us. Aiden came to me. "See, you have to hold it like this." He rearranged my hands on the grip of the sword.

His hands were rough and callused, probably because of all the fighting he did. I'd never noticed, but he was quite skilled at it, especially with his daggers. His eyebrows pinched together and his lips were pressed tight when he was concentrating, like now.

"So, you got it?" He asked. I flinched, startled when he spoke, but I managed to nod. "Good." He said, and strode back to the front to face us

We spent a long time learning positions, parries and strikes, and we were sweaty and tired by the time this was over.  Maple flopped down on to the grass. "Enough, please." Arden chuckled. "Let's take a break."

I thankfully sat down and accepted a bottle of water he passed me, taking a long sip. "That was tiring." I said finally. Aiden smirked at me. "You're far from done. You have to learn this and how to use a bow. At the very least."

Maple groaned. "Well, the sooner we start the sooner it'll end, right?" "That's the spirit." Arden said.

And we got up to continue.