Chapter 11

"El! El!"

I was shaken awake.

I opened my eyes groggily to see a girl sitting over me. Her long, honey-blond hair hung over me and her hazel eyes sparkled with concern. "Mape."

"You're awake." she exhaled.

She slid her hand under me and helped me sit up. My back didn't hurt as much, so I accepted it. "Thanks."

We sat side by side, leaning on the wall. She spoke first. "So?"

I knew what she was asking. "I think one-fifty." "That many?"she asked. "Yes." She breathed out slowly. "All right. And you?" "Fine." "So what are we going to do?" she turned her head.

I shrugged. "Escape? Wait, we?" "Did you think I was going to let you go on your own?" she asked incredulously. "Keep your voice down. There're guards." I hissed. "Right. So, as I was saying, when?" I thought for a minute. "Improvise."

"We're going to die." she exhaled.

Maple paused, realizing that that was an awkward topic.

"Sorry, El."

But it wasn't.

I'd accepted it. So maybe I'd die. Fine. If that was what was planned for me. But I would make a difference. I would be me. I would change something. Change this system. And I knew how. But my plan would take time.

Maple was still watching me. "It's fine, Mape. I know it."

"We'll find a way to fix this." she said. "Mape, we can't. It's fine. Just..." "What?" she asked. "Nothing. It was silly." I shook my head. "Tell me." "It's nothing, I was just going to ask you to keep an eye on things outside, but I realized you would do that anyways." "Are you sure?" she asked suspiciously.

She knew me too well.

I sighed. "No."

And I whispered my plan into her ear.

Her eyes widened as I spoke. I had barely finished when she exclaimed, "El, that's genius!" "It won't work." "Well, maybe." she admitted. "But maybe it will." She added, like she was unable to stop herself. "You're too optimistic." I grumbled.

"So I am."

We grinned at each other. "When?" she asked.

I paused.

I didn't exactly have much time left.

"Tomorrow." I said finally.