Chapter 54

'Nalvia?'

A figure formed in front of me, though I had my eyes closed. It was so ethereal I knew I'd forget it the moment I opened my eyes. Golden light shimmered and twisted beneath my closed eyelids, forming a figure of which I could barely make out the face. She was eternally beautiful, though.

Yes. The answer flew back immediately. I asked silently, 'What- what's happening? How is this happening?' You are the Princess. The closest elf to me, ever. You are my chosen one. And you need to see something now. Look.

Her figure dissipated, and a scene appeared in front of my eyes.

A wedding.

And not just any wedding. My parents' wedding. I looked closer and saw Ivy and...my father. They were in a small glade, the ground covered with cherry blossom petals, elves standing in silence as Ivy and my father stood at the altar, clasping each other's hands.

My father looked dashing, red hair, vibrant like mine and his soft brown eyes full of love for his almost-wife. Ivy, though I hated to praise her, looked absolutely radiant. I didn't understand why. She had seemed to hate my father so much that we always thought she had been forced into marriage.

But there she was, smiling up at my father like he was her whole world. He was wearing a dark green suit, gold strands woven into the fabric. The traditional attire for elf grooms, plus a gold crown on his head, marking him the Prince. He had been crowned King after his wedding. Ivy looked beautiful, years younger in a long white gown, the train to the side. Green leaf designs shimmered on the gauzy fabric. The veil on her black head had been pushed to the back.

I looked at the audience.There were many elves, some Council members like Sir Sorrel. At the very front rows, four elves caught my eyes, two on either side. Wearing crowns, two old elves holding hands. I gasped, recognizing them.

My father's parents.

Cypress and Malus Elowen. My grandfather, the old king, his dark red hair graying, but his light green eyes clearly shining with pride at his son's wedding. Holding his hand, the former Queen, Cypress Elowen, her flaxen hair retaining its color, her dark green eyes looking watery.

On the other side, Ivy's parents. Magnolia and Oren Salix. Her blond hair was tied in a braid down her back, her pink eyes bright with joy, but a tear slipping down her cheek. His brown hair hadn't yet lost its color, unlike Malus', and his bright green eyes were full of more tears than his wife's.

My four grandparents watched proudly as my parents took their vows and completed the proper rituals. At the end, a wall of dirt rose up and covered my parents, melting away and revealing them in a passionate kiss. The watching elves broke out in applause, and finally they separated, smiling shyly at each other.

They turned to the priest, who moved aside as the King and Queen, Malus and Cypress Elowen, stepped up. Solemnly, Cypress reached up and placed a silver tiara on Ivy's head. It shone brightly amidst the dark strands of her hair.

Magnolia and Oren rushed up as well, and much hugging and crying (but more crying) took place. Ivy and my father only had eyes for each other, and in the glances they stole, I could see how much history they had.

They loved each other.

There was no doubt about it. My father, clearly, loved her. And she wasn't that good an actress. There was only love and devotion in the way they looked at each other, finally a married couple. I could sense how long they had been waiting for this moment. They were only each other's.

So what had gone wrong?

Why had Ivy ended up killing the husband she plainly adored and seven daughters she had had with him? Why had she turned to Branch, even before his death? What had happened between them?

You must understand.

Nalvia's voice flew through my head again as the scene dissipated into darkness. 'What is this? Why are you showing me?' I asked. But I got no response. I felt the urge to open my eyes. I slowly raised my eyelids, still trying to process everything I had seen, a million questions flying through my head.

Birch and Aiden were watching us, but Maple and Arden still had their eyes closed. As I watched, they opened their eyes. "You're so pale, Elvina, what's happened?" Maple asked, looking concerned. This obviously brought everyone's eyes to me.

"Uh- nothing. Just...cold, I suppose." I managed to say. "So, how was it?" I asked, to change the subject. "Amazing." Arden answered first. "I felt so connected to the Forest." "It was...wonderful. Different." Maple agreed. "The staffs helped, then? Now, we have to go. Get ready." Birch said.

I picked up the staffs, while everyone else picked up the weapons. Birch raised his hand to transport us back, but I was too preoccupied to to feel nauseous.