Chapter 12

Maple soon left, promising to make sure I could carry out my plan. I had no worries on that front. I knew she'd be able to do what I'd asked of her.

My worries were on how my plan would...well, if I'd even be able to do it. It was highly unlikely that my mother, Forreston and Branch would let me do it.

But there was a Law on this. I was sure about this.

My worries were on it's implementation.

In the history of our Forest, no one had ever attempted what I was going to do. And it definitely wouldn't be easy. Probably wouldn't even work. But I would have done something. Better than lying around in my cell.

The Council would oppose me. They were my mother's followers.

But though doubts plagued me, I had to do this. I had to raise my voice. And if it worked...I'd most likely still die, but life would be unimaginably better for the elves.

My people.

And that made it worth it.

I made a small squeal.

Another migraine- no, a headache this time, had shot through my head. And it was a strong one.

I clutched my head with my hands. If I hadn't been sitting already, I probably would have collapsed. Pain arched through my head, not at any specific spot. I barely kept myself from screaming.

It was almost more painful than the whipping.

They made me hurt inside, somehow, like...I don't know. Like...grief. And I knew that feeling all too well.

No one, no one knew why I had these headaches. No doctor had ever been able to explain.

My mother had never called the doctors. It was always one of my older sisters.

I let a small groan escape as it only grew in pain. Too soft for the guards to hear.

I squeezed my eyes tightly shut, as bright spots and dark spots alike swam across my vision. I was no stranger to passing out from these...issues.

And I was sure I would this time.

I heard movement outside my cell, and when all was silent again, I opened my eyes as little as I possibly could.

I saw a slice of bread on a plate. It was very small. But it was better than nothing.

I inched forward so I could grab it and stuffed it into my mouth. There. Now my hunger was satisfied, too.

I leaned over onto my stack of hay and allowed darkness to sweep me away.