Chapter 80

"Hello!" One of them squeaked.

There were eight in total- one older one, with wrinkles lining her stern face, and seven younger girls. The seven younger ones were clearly maids, with black dresses and white, starched aprons, their outfits complete with a white bonnet. The older woman looked the same, strands of silver shining in her dark, auburn hair, but held herself with much more authority.

The older one cast a sharp glance at the girl who'd spoken, her green eyes flashing, and turned to us. "New maids. You'll stay here. These girls will tell you what to do." She said, every word clipped. With a last harsh glance, she walked past us, out the door.

A moment later, the seven exhaled in unison, like they were relieved. One of them, with dark, shiny hair tied in a bun underneath her bonnet, smiled at us. "Welcome. We're all maids here, like you are now. We'll show you what to do and everything."

Maple smiled. "Hello. I'm Tulip Wisteria. This is my sister, Calla." The girl smiled, her pink eyes catching my attention. They were beautiful, and seemed to alternate between shades of pink, dark to light. "I'm Sakura Bracken, the most senior maid here aside from Rubia Anise. She's our overseer." She said, gesturing to the door. She was talking about the old woman, who had just left.

"These are my companions. We all work in the South Wing, except for Poppy, who works in the North Wing, and Vanilla and Jessamine in the West Wing. Tell them your names, guys." he said, turning back to look at them. The one who had said hello to us in a bubbly voice was Poppy Tarragon, with dark black eyes and vivid red curls in a single pony, reaching just below her shoulder, curls escaping from her bonnet.

Vanilla Lucerne was a shy girl, with a soft voice. She had silky dark brown hair, curving at the ends. It was short, reaching her shoulders. Her eyes were dark brown, and her skin creamy like her namesake flower.

The tall one with piercing, light orange eyes and a single, long blond plait clashing but looking beautiful with her dark, almost black, skin was Jessamine Lale. She gave us a welcoming smile. Next to her, the short girl with a low voice, a short blond bob and dull pink-purple eyes was Tansy Kennedia.

Leilani Amaryllis had dark pink eyes and bright red hair, reaching the bottom of her shoulder blades, that was damp, like she'd just washed it, and dark skin, thought it wasn't as dark as Jessamine's. Linnea Cicely was the last one, petite, with slightly tanned skin which made her bright green eyes very noticeable, and wavy, brown hair that wasn't quite light, but wasn't very dark, reaching slightly past her shoulders.

They all smiled at us, looking very welcoming. They showed us two beds in the corner. There were nine beds in that room, and an adjoining door which, as they explained, was Rubia Anise's private room. Jessamine asked me if it looked good. I nodded, and then they realized I supposedly couldn't speak.

They all looked very sorry for us, but the tension soon dissipated. Then they told us about themselves. I got to know them better, and I realized we would be friends.

Sakura was the oldest of five children. Her parents had died, and she had come to work here. Her younger sister and brother, the next eldest, were working in their town while she was here, sending money to them for the education of their youngest brothers. She'd been in the palace for around three years.

Poppy was the youngest. Her parents had worked in the palace, though they were now retired. Vanilla didn't say much, but the other girls talked for her. Her mother had died in childbirth, only living long enough to say that Vanilla's father was dead, but that her surname was Lucerne, and that her first name should be Vanilla. She had a silver necklace with a songbird charm on it, the only remnant she had of her mother. On turning twenty, she had left the orphanage to come work at the palace and provide for herself.

Jessamine was a middle child. Her older sister worked in a different part of the palace, so they didn't often see each other, and her younger sister lived with their parents in their village. Tansy was an only child and, like Poppy, her parents had worked in the palace, and, on their retiring, she had started to work here. Tansy and Poppy had known each other for a long time, because of their parents being friends.

Leilani came from a very far part of the Forest. Her mother had died when she was nine, so it was just her and her father. He was old now, so she sent money back home to support him. Linnea was the second oldest. She'd grown up in an orphanage, and after earning a bit here, had adopted a young girl as a younger sister, who she'd known since the girl was a baby in the orphanage. She was providing for the young girl's education.

They spent time talking, making us feel quite welcome, until Rubia walked back in. They fell silent immediately and stood up in attention. Maple and I followed their example. Rubia looked at us. "You two will be working in the West Wing with Miss Lucerne and Miss Lale. Come now, let's get to work."

"Follow us." Jessamine whispered as we filed out. "Good luck." Sakura said as she, Tansy, Linnea and Leilani went one way, Poppy another, and Vanilla, Jessamine, Maple and I another way.