Chapter Four

*Edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 4– Curiosity killed the cat:

        It's early in the morning when I wake up with sweaty hands, a pounding heart and a killer headache. My eyes move over each object in the dark room frantically as I jolt upright, checking every corner for something, someone— but there's nothing there.

        I rub my eyes with the balls of my hands as I slump back against my headboard, feeling the damp mattress and rumpled quilts beneath me. I try to calm my breathing as I inhale deeply.

        Tienes que ir.

        I let out a breath after counting to five.

        ¡Vete!

        I inhale again.

        Dije que te vayas!

        The voices are loud, screaming now. The pain in my head becomes much more severe, however the pressure in my lungs has left and my heart rate slows and settles back to its usual rhythm with each timed inhale and exhale.

        Feeling slightly better, I swing my legs over the edge of my messy bed, my bare feet coming into contact with the cold, linoleum flooring. I rest my arms at my sides, gripping the sheets as a wave of dizziness hits me suddenly. I breath out slowly, gritting my teeth in frustration. I fucking hate this.

        After a few minutes have passed, I'm finally able to drag myself down the hallway and into the cold bathroom at the top of the stairs, the chilly temperature not bothering me much as goosebumps arise on my exposed skin.

        The water is warm as I step underneath the harsh pelts of the showerhead. The droplets run down my back; over my scars, tattoos and every other flaw on my tanned skin. I stand under the raining shower for about an hour, my forehead resting against the cool tiles, not wanting to get out and face reality.

        However, eventually, I do.

        I get dressed for school quickly, keeping my outfit dark and simple. I don't put much, if any, effort into what I look like as I've never really cared about my appearance. Especially when it comes to school.

        Education isn't my thing, not even slightly. I hate the whole idea of it; sitting in an uncomfortable chair for hours on end, listening to a teacher blabbering on about things I couldn't give any less of a shit about, surrounded by humans that I'd rather kill than have a conversation with. It just really, really isn't my thing. Just the thought of it makes me want to kill someone... or myself.

        But it's mandatory, so Jace says, so if I want to achieve more than what's expected of me given my situation, high school is a must.

        I grab my black framed glasses from off my bedside table, setting them atop the bridge of my nose before I leave my room. I hate these fucking things as well, but apparently I need them as much as I need to get my diploma.

        Throwing my bag over my right shoulder, moving my brunette hair from underneath the black straps, I head downstairs. I decide to skip breakfast again, not feeling hungry after my abrupt wake up call this morning. I'm still pissed off at the fact it had been the first night's sleep I've gotten in over five days and it was so short lived.

        I let Rey out into the back garden after I fill one of his bowls with dog food and the other with water. I can't stress enough how much of an inconvenience that fucking dog is; how much time he takes up and how much money he costs— not to mention the amount of items I've had to replace because he can't keep his fucking chewing habits to himself.