Chapter Fourteen

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 14– Stop talking to me:

        I hadn't expected it.

        Usually I'm prepared for anything; I'm never easily shocked or surprised. However, that trait of mine seems to be diminishing little by little each day that I spend with Lilah and her guard dogs.

        The room we find ourselves in is large— spacious. There are rows and rows of seats surrounding three sides of the room, each separated by a small isle. It's dimly lit; not many lights are present apart from the single light bulb in the middle of the room, hanging loosely from the ceiling above a boxing ring, illuminating the area. Many people appear to have just arrived; all making their way up the shallow steps leading to the rows of chairs, sitting down with eager expressions on their faces, a beer or soda in one hand, a snack in the other. There are a few people scattered about the room, dressed similarly to Stephan, keeping watch of their surroundings.

        "Why are we here?"

        It's a stupid question, even for me, and I perhaps should have worded it better. What I want to know is the reason we're here, aside from the obvious. If the ring is going to be used for what it's meant to be used for, I'd say we're about to watch a boxing match or something of the sort. However, I know Lilah isn't a big fan of violence, therefore I'm confused as to why she would want to attend an event like this one when she could have spent the night at home painting her nails or doing whatever the fuck nice people like her do.

        Lilah smiles at me as the door swings closed behind us, the blinding whiteness of her teeth shining in the dim setting. "We're watching the fight." At the last word she grimaces slightly, her tone a little more high-pitched. I narrow my eyes suspiciously at the overly-eager redhead. Her demeanour— how she stands and the way she speaks— is giving me the impression that she's lying, but she can't be. We are going to watch the fight. That isn't a lie. Though, I do highly-doubt she's telling me the whole truth. 

        "Fine." I don't bother asking any more questions, knowing the truth will come out in the end— even if I have to rip out a few teeth, or pull off her nails in order to get some honest answers.

        Lilah pulls on my sleeve as she tugs me forward, and I don't bother stopping her. I'm starting to get used to her habit of pulling people about rather than using her words.

        I follow her up the steps (not that I had much of a choice), stopping at the top row and turning down the isle.

        Lilah waves at the four boys who are already seated, a drink of beer in each of their hands, apart from Dakota's. Zeke immediately starts beaming when he sees us, his smile wide and boyish. Gray, too, smiles, however his grin gets bigger when he makes eye contact with the joyful redhead, standing up to kiss her cheek gently. Landon jolts his head in greeting, his arms crossed over his chest, the bottle in his hand resting on his bicep.

        Landon is sitting next to Zeke, is was sitting beside Gray, leaving the blonde on the end beside two vacant chairs. However, Gray asks Dakota to move over so Lilah can sit with him.

        That leaves me sitting next to Dakota.

I reluctantly lower myself down on the deep burgundy seat, a scowl plastered on my face. I would've rather sat next to freckles, or even Lilah.

        It isn't that I dislike Dakota anymore than I do the rest of America's population, however, I don't like how friendly he's becoming. Although he's only said a few words to me, it's still too much for my liking. I prefer him when his mouth is shut.