Chapter Forty-One

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 41– Don't put Stanley in goal:

        I haven't had much time to myself lately; to think, to breathe, to pretty much do anything. I've been surrounded by people, always busy— which is fucking ironic considering I literally fucking hate everyone.

        So now, as my feet hit the middle of the empty road with a light force as I jog through the streets of Raven Hollow, I take a second to breathe without there being someone next to me watching my every inhale and exhale.

        The sky is starting to lighten up with the rising of the sun. It's cold, fucking freezing actually, but I'm not much bothered by it as sweat develops on my burning skin.

        As I turn the corner, passing a convenience store that I've only ever been to once, my mind begins to wander back to the past few days and everything that's happened. Being occupied with work and school, Landon's "plan" that I had stupidly agreed to, and Jace's out of the blue arrival, hasn't really giving me much time to just sit down and think.

        I don't do it often; thinking. But so much has happened over such a short period of time and I haven't been able to process fucking any of  it.

        For the whole run, my mind works overtime, so when I reach my rented house my head is throbbing with a headache.

        Jace is up and dressed when I step into the kitchen after my shower, he's standing by the stove cooking what smells like sausages, though I can't really see as he's in the way.

        I clear my throat to let him know I'm here, and he turns around with a raised eyebrow. "What?" I grumble as I take a seat, folding my tattooed arms on the kitchen island. There's a hoodie resting on my bag on the stool next to me, but I don't bother to put it on until I need to leave. Jace has had the heating on, so it's warm inside.

        "What have you been eating?" He asks, going back to the stove. "There's barely any food in the fridge."

        I shrug my shoulders, though his back is to me so he can't see the small action, "I don't really eat, and if I do then I get takeout."

        "Well," he picks up the pan with one hand and holds a spatula in the other as he turns around, "That's going to change." He places the sausages in between two slices of buttered bread that are on a plate before passing it to me. I look up from the sandwich to him, an eyebrow raised. "Well what are you waiting for? Eat up and get to school."

        School.

I had gotten a lot of texts from Lilah and the boys yesterday, asking if I was okay and wanting to know where I was. It was fucking annoying to say the least, so I ended up turning my phone off for the rest of the day. However, today is Wednesday and it's week two at school, meaning my first lesson is Gym which Lilah and all the boys attend, so there's no way to escape them; especially since Jace has put a ban on ditching.

Grabbing my bag and my jumper after I'm done eating, I make my way out to my car without bothering to say goodbye to Jace, prompting him to send me another angry text message about manners— or my lack of manners more specifically.

When I reach the school twenty minutes early, I quickly pull my gym wear from my locker and head over to the changing rooms in a separate building. It's cold when I enter, but I pay it no mind as I swap my hoodie for the school's gym polo and my jeans for the tight shorts I'm forced to wear.