Chapter Sixteen

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 16– No way in Heaven:

        "What do you want to know first?"

        I shoot a quick side glance at him before I turn back to the road. "What made you ask if I could read or write?"

        I decide to get that out of the way first, having a feeling that the conversation that's coming after will be a little heavier than my IQ level, but also wanting to know how the fuck Dakota found out I'm pretty much illiterate.

        He clears his throat awkwardly, shifting in his seat, hanging his head in what looks like shame. He reminds me a lot of Benny sitting there looking all guilty. "When you left English, you accidentally took my book instead of your own. I was going to give it back when I saw you in the hallway, but then I changed my mind, and told you you left that pen behind instead..." he pauses for a beat and turns in his seat to look at me, "I'm going to need it back by the way—that's my only pen that actually works."

        I frown as I look at him, glancing at the road to check I'm not going to crash into anything. "Why the fuck would you take someone's book?"

        He shrugs nonchalantly, losing his mini-human-like demeanour and putting on his neutral expression, "Sometimes I see you drawing in your book, right at the very back, and I was curious as to what it was you were drawing."

        I clench my jaw in anger, turning away just before we stop at a red light. "Okay, first of all, that's my business, not yours, so stay out of it, you nosey fuck. And also, you haven't answered my fucking question," I grit through clenched teeth. "How do you know I can't read or write?"

        He sighs heavily. "I didn't realise how far back I had gone and ended up flicking to the pages where your work was..." he trails off, seemingly unable to find the words. "There were so many spelling mistakes, and you didn't even attempt to write any bigger words. There were loads of scribbles across sentences as well. I then remembered how you always refuse to read aloud and won't even try to read any book yourself. At first I thought it was because you were just being lazy, but now it's got me thinking..."

        My shoulders tense as his sentence fades into the air and I avoid looking at him. No one knows I have issues with reading and writing, only Jace. It isn't something I go around telling people, and I don't go out of my way to make it obvious; I keep it to myself.

        Driving past the red light, I scowl at Dakota. "Well you can stop thinking because it's none of your business. I have difficulty reading a few words, and a bit of trouble spelling them, it's not a big deal, it happens."

        Dakota snorts. "It happens when you're a kid, not when you're seventeen."

        "Fuck you," I spit maliciously, clenching my hands around the steering wheel, my anger rising at the mocking in his tone.

        "I didn't mean it like that, Kody," he looks apologetic and sounds sincere, although I can't really tell. "I just— I want to help you."

        "Help me?" I raise an eyebrow, turning a corner. We've only been driving for about ten minutes or so, but I'm ready to stop the car and chuck Dakota out. Giving him a ride has got to be the worst fucking idea I've ever come up with, and I'm regretting it immensely.