Chapter Forty-Three

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 43– I don't have a middle name:

        "Quédate aquí y no salgas por na', ¿vale?" I tell him sternly as he continues to throw Cheetos into his mouth. "Ey, ¿me estás escuchando, pendejo?" He waves his hand at me dismissively, not looking away from his new TV that I told him not to get. I came home from school and there it was, mounted to the wall. "I'm not playing, Jace. You're not to leave this room while he's here," I mention again, just in case.

        He rolls his eyes at me but still doesn't turn his head, "Sí, de acuerdo, okey," he answers back, his accent not natural but more advanced than the average American's. I shake my head as I close his door and walk down the stairs just as there's a knock on the door.

        I don't bother and rush to open it, despite the fact that it's chucking it down outside and the temperature is dropping. Winter's coming in a bit sooner than expected and the weather's changing drastically. Though it has been quite temperamental and inconsistent, so it's likely to be a bit clearer tomorrow.

        I slowly pull the door open to find a soaking wet Dakota with his hands stuffed inside his pockets staring at me with droplets of water dripping from his eyelashes down to his blue tinted lips waiting on the front porch, his bag thrown over his shoulder. "May I come in? Or are you gonna stand there and watch me freeze?"

        My jaw ticks at his smart mouth comment. Not even ten seconds have gone by and he's already managing to piss me off. "Don't give me an option because you won't like the outcome," I bite back as I open the door a bit wider so he can step passed me. His drenched hoodie brushes against my bare arms and I shiver in what I can only assume is disgust at the fact that he touched me.

        We walk into the kitchen where Dakota sits down on the stool. He looks around the room, his eyes more focused on the floor, and I realise he's looking for the mutt that I share my house with. Rey's sleeping soundlessly next to Jace's feet upstairs, curled up underneath a small blanket which he doesn't fucking need, but Jace was insistent.

        I grab a drink for myself, and remembering what Jace had taught me, I offer Dakota one as well. "I feel like we haven't done this in forever," he tells me as he pulls out a small notepad and pen. I don't bother to respond as I watch him. "Month's almost up," he reminds me, this time looking up to meet my eyes. I shrug, but don't look away. "Unless..." he trails off.

        My eyebrows furrow, "Unless what?" I snap at his vague insinuation. He shakes his head at my tone and I frown deeper.

Opening the book, he moves his drink to the side so he doesn't knock it over, "Unless you want to carry on." It doesn't really come out as a question, but I can tell he's asking more than simply just suggesting.

Immediately I shake my head, "No, definitely not."

Now that Jace is here and squatting in my spare bedroom upstairs, he can teach me how to read and write. It's not like he hasn't got the time for it, and now he isn't miles and miles away it's more convenient.

A blank look coats the blonde's face and he doesn't seem at all bothered, "Okay."

For the first half of the session it's awkward. Dakota doesn't make any conversation like he normally would— in fact, he barely even speaks. I don't care really, I don't like talking to him, but I've come to realise that he likes talking to me for some odd reason, and this is out of character for him.

I'm writing down a really complicated word when I finally decide to break the silence. "Any fights coming up?" I ask.

I can't see Dakota's face, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say he's probably surprised that I'm the one who started a conversation. I don't like the silence if I'm being completely honest. There's just something not quite right about it. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it just doesn't sit right with me and it's making me fidgety and uncomfortable.