Chapter 15 📎

Claire Holt is Mia Carson

CARA

Jonathan asked me to meet him in the living room after breakfast. I showered dressed in another dress; white chiffon, strapless neckline, sleeveless, sequined empire waist, floor-length gown. Probably not the best color to wear the day that you'll die but it's all courtesy of my new wardrobe. I step into my white leather Christian Louboutin pump stilettos with platform red bottoms. Wow, that was descriptive. I also put my hair up in a hair-do. I'm not sure why though. Anyway, I walk down the stairs to the tanned steps of the stair case. Once I get to the living room in the first floor, I see him waiting. He turns around to face, he has a smile on his face, and I just noticed that he's growing a stubble; which is weird for a vampire, I think. He's wearing a red velvet looking suit, white shirt and a grey tie. His hair is f*cked up but it looks good on him. I shake that thought away as I walk down the rest of the stairs. I walk towards him and he put his arm out for me.

"Come dance with me," he says.

I take his hand. He walks us over to the empty small space in the living room away from the beautiful red furniture. He reaches into his pocket, taking out a small control. He presses a button and music starts from... where? He turns fully towards me after putting the control back into his pocket. Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron & Wine fills the room. He puts his left hand on my waist and with his right hand he holds my left hand. I put my right hand on his arm near his shoulder. He starts moving to the music and I follow suit. The music along with the lyrics to the song are beautiful.

I was a quick-wit boy
Diving too deep for coins
All of your street light eyes
Wide on my plastic toys
Then when the cops closed the fair
I cut my long baby hair
Stole me a dog-eared map
And called for you everywhere
Have I found you?
Flightless bird, jealous, weeping
Or lost you?
American mouth
Big pill looming...

"You never cease to amaze me," I say.

He smirks. "I'm glad."

He keeps moving us to the rhythm of the song until it comes to an end. He stops and looks at me. He leans forward and I'm frozen on the spot. His face inches closer and closer until I feel his cold lips on mine. I don't have the chance to realize what's happening when I start kissing him back. Then several seconds later something snaps me back to the present and I pull away just enough to break the kiss.

"Jonathan, you know I have a mate," I say in a hoarse voice.

"Yeah, I know. I should have kept that in mind. I'm sorry," he huskily says.

"It's okay. What'd done is done. We should just keep it that way," I reason.

"Yes, of course," he say. "Do you want another dance?"