4

I feel relief embrace me as the clock hits 6pm.
My feet are killing, I'm exhausted and I can't even feel my lower body.
I  can't wait to get home.
" Are you Ok? " Alexis asks standing next to me and I nod.
All I want is for us to get out of here.
The good news is, we're to be paid every fortnight.
The pay  is not that disappointing. It's R2500 every two weeks which makes it R5000 every month.
I'd say we deserve more considering how much work we do here but like I had said, 'beggars, can't be choosers '
"Let's go" Alexis says after we took off our uniform.
I drag my body to the door and I'm thankful when we're in the taxi. I can finally sit down and relax.
I exhale, breathing just next to the window as the oxygen becomes congested as more people get in.
The taxi gets full within minutes since its knockout time for many people.
I can barely keep my eyes open in the taxi and fortunately, Alexis wakes me up the minute we arrive at our destination.
It's rather dark outside but not too dark.
We both get out and walk inside the yard.
She takes out her key and unlocks, then I follow her inside.
" I'm so tired " I can tell by her deep exhale that she's exhausted but I can bet a million it's nothing compared to what I'm feeling.
I sit down and immediately take off my shoes and start massaging my feet.
I try not to think about how I'm going to survive working for a week and rather focus my mind on the aftermath, which is of course being able to cater for my child's needs.
" Should I cook? " Alexis asks and I wonder If she is really as tired as she claimed.
I'm hungry so I nod, with my focus on my feet which are swollen and painful. Not only my feet but my back is killing me.
" Chicken or beef? " She asks and I'm in awe.
The last time I remembered, we didn't have much groceries so all of this is confusing for me.
" Huh? "
I ask and she laughs, probably at the expression on my face.
" I should have been more specific. There's a can of tinned chicken and that of beef.
I'm feeling neither but beef seems better than chicken and that's what she goes for.
I go so I can quickly take a bath, after which I get dressed in my night garment then go  join her for dinner.
" Don't you think it's great we working together? I doubt I would have been able to handle a crowd "
" It is but the workload is one I'm yet to get used to "
The food is great. Well, Alexis can make even a can of worms splendid.
She's a great cook and never ceases to remind me of her dreams to become a chef.
I like it when she does. The passion She displays when she talks of food is inspiring, it gets me to travel down to wonderland and the 'what ifs' come flooding as my mind plays tricks on me.
What if it worked out? What if I were rich?
What if mom was here?
Unfortunately, I can only imagine but that has never killed anyone.
She allows me to go rest as she washes the dishes, reminding me that it's work tomorrow.
My phone rings and I just stare at it.
It's an unknown number and I've got enough worries as is.
I decide not to stress about it as I curl myself in bed and eventually, drift into sleep.
.
Cindy is in the bathroom where she's managed to lock herself.
Her phone has been ringing none stop and this is the only chance she got to answer it
She knew exactly who was calling and thank god her phone was on silent or her husband would have been on her case.
" What do you want? " She asks the person on the other line who is not too pleased
" When am I seeing you? " Asks a deep voice, that Is clearly running out of patience
" It's been almost two months " He adds and she calms down a bit
" I haven't been able to sneak out. What happened to being patient? " She whispers back, trying to terminate this conversation but it's not a mutual understanding because he doesn't stop talking.
" Well I'm running out of patience. I'm giving you only a week, if not.. You don't even want me to remind you "
She feels her heart skip a beat. His words clearly echo in her ears as he hangs ups.
She knows he isn't playing And has no choice but to surrender into his demands.
The last thing she needs is him ruining her plans.
" Baby, are you OK in there? " Her husband asks out of concern.
" Yes, I'm coming " Her voice is trembling but she tries to make it sound normal.
Her husband, however realises the tone in her voice which continues to make him wonder about his wife.
She gets out after a while with a smile plastered on her face and he welcomes her into his arms.
" Are you fine?"
He asks and she nods absentmindedly.
Her mind is still on the phone call and his mind is battling with the thoughts of her infidelity.
'She wouldn't!'
He thinks but the other him replies
'It's still Eve who gave Adam the apple'
Could it be she's deceiving him?
He begins to see the cracks in his marriage and the thoughts of whether he made the right choice start to flood his mind.
The same mind darts to the woman he saw who looked like Ayanda but he quickly brushes them off.
'I'm married', he reminds himself and turns his attention to his wife who's trembling in his arms.
'Oh Cindi, what have you done this time?' He wonders but what he knows however, is that it's time he digs deep into this issue.