25

TWO YEARS LATER

If you were to ask me five years Back if I'd ever get married, I'd laugh and shake my head.
I never saw myself being this happy at 27. After what I went through with Siya and him leaving me, I didn't think our marriage would even last a year.
Do you blame me? This was a man who had divorced his ex wife before they even reached six months.
And the most traumatic was meeting my father.
This happened after I had built up enough courage to look into this man who had abandoned me.
I knew it had to happen so that Siya and I can get married so I figured, why not?
Anyway, he had also been bugging me to just get this over and done with so I followed suite.
Then, I met him.
I still remember that day.
It was about two years ago and Siya had offered for us to meet in his office.
I sat there, waiting for this anxiously and some how hoping he doesn't come.
I was biting on my nails In anticipation and then, he walked in.
He seemed like a man who held so much virtue and owned whatever floor he walked on.
He was very handsome and light skinned, definitely not what I was expecting.
"Ayanda? "
Was what he first said and that's when I heard his Australian accent.
The tears just fell. To think I had struggled while this man was well off and had probably been enjoying his life.
Now I knew where my son got his light skin.
"It's... It's really you? "
I asked, shocked and with a trembling voice.
"I didn't know "
He said and that got me very angry.
"You didn't know? Bullshit! You left my mother pregnant and alone now don't you come here and hit me with that"
It took a lot of anger talking and cursing for me with sobs in between until I finally calmed down.
He then told me his side of the story which was his relationship with my mother and how she didn't want to move away with him.
He seemed honest and through the previous years, we have worked through our differences.
I met his two sons, Bryan and Themba who look just like him but rather mixed.
He told me he's divorced and searching, which made me laugh.
The two are 24 and 21 respectively.
One is studying in New York and the other in The UK.
Anyway, he even walked me down the aisle.
"Time to go now"
Siya says, walking into my office. I work as a PR consultant for a media and advertising company.
"Baby, I really need to finish this "
I say, not even looking at him.
"Mommy, let's go. I'm hungry"
That's Thando and I know his father put him up to this.
"Really? "
I say, looking at them.
"We missed you all day "
I roll my eyes then close my laptop.
It's school holidays now so Thando is home.
Siya takes my bag as we walk out while Thando tells me about their day.
"Siyabulela! "
"I told you not to tell"
"You were fighting with him. Why are you teaching my son violence?! "
I'm so angry right now but he just smirks.
"I won mommy "
Thando says and I'm forced to calm down.
"And it's wrestling, not violence. We were acting"
Siya says and I feel like punching him.
"Then you better act like you're coming tonight cause you not get any for the week"
I say, pleased with myself.
"That's not fair "
He says, sulking.
"Well, life isn't "
And he drives us home, grumpy as hell.
I love my family and I honestly wouldn't trade them for anything.
All that happened to me tamed me to rely on no one else but myself. I learned to make promises that I'm sure I'll keep and to cherish the little things.
I learned to love unconditionally and to care for my family and my best friend.
I made peace with my past, forgave and healed.
.
CINDI
I took a deep sigh before opening the envelope.
There's nothing that scares me like rejection.
Something I've been experiencing the past two years and which I hoped would have changed.
The thought of turning 30 single scared me but it seemed I had no choice but to accept it.
None of the relationships worked that after my last break up four months ago, I decided to rather stay single.
"Just open it"
My mom says, coming into my room.
She's holding Kim, my sister's eight months old baby.
"I'm scared "
I admit and she takes the envelope from me, tears it open and my heart beat accelerates.
"You got it"
She says calmly.
"What? "
She hands the letter to me and I scream my lungs out, making Kim cry.
My mom just laughs and goes out with her.
"I'm going to be a lawyer! "
I scream and start jumping on the bed.
I had applied for a bursary from this firm and finally, I received good news
"Hai, you going to break the poor bed"
My mom says and gives me a hug.
"You deserve to be happy baby. Congratulations "
She kisses my cheek then leaves.
I don't care how old I am now but I'm happy.
Yes I'll be doing my first year in law next year but I don't care.
I deserve this.
The following day, I take a bath and prepare myself for work.
I'm now the manager and the pay is good.
We've even managed to renovate the house but I had also been saving for next year.
I was really hoping that I get this so it made me happy.
So Luke and my little sister did get married and had a child.
I was happy for them and my sister and I even made peace. Although I didn't see the need for us to fight.
"I'd like to see the manager! "
Is what I hear, immediately when I arrive. All attention seem to be on this individual and I can see the waiters are scared of him.
"It's me"
I say and he looks at me with a very scary look.
He has his veins popping and I know that I'm even sweating right now.
"Do you tell your waitresses to serve customers cold food? "
His look is piercing through my skin, instantly drying my throat.
"Uhm.. I... No "
I say.
"Sir, please follow me to my office so we can talk privately about your grievances? "
You're scaring other customers, I want to say but I'm scared myself and the last thing I want is to piss him off even more.
He follows me, busy cursing and I close the door after we get in.
"Mr? "
"James"
"Mr James, I apologise for the bad service you received this morning. I'd like to know what we can do to improve the service, will you maybe be interested in-?
"No"
He says, not even waiting for me to finish.
"There's nothing that can clear my memory of what happened so thank you for wasting my time "
And just like that, he leaves my office and I'm left with my mouth hanging.
OK, why did he come to my office in the first place?

*THE END*