6

"How did it go? ", asks Alexis after I have settled down.
How did it? Well, bad if you ask me. I confronted my past and it was bitter. I still... No, scratch that. My heart still loves him and that's what makes me sob. He's married for heaven's sake.
"I... I regret agreeing to this"
She brushing my back as the tears fall. I keep wiping them with my dress.
"It hurts me so much when you cry"
I feel bad when she says that but I don't want to cry.
I'm just overwhelmed with emotions. On the other side, it's good that he knows but the other part wonders if that means he's coming back into my life. I wanted him as the love of my life and right now, I didn't want anything to do with him.
...
A month later and I am now six months pregnant. I really can't wait to give birth.
We're still working and the pay is really helpful. We get a combined income of R10 000 and I know I won't struggle with my baby
It's a boy and I've decided to name him Luthando. As much as I didn't work out with Siya but he was made out of love.
Oh, I haven't seen him since that time if you're wondering and I'm actually happy.
My life is perfectly fine without him. Alexis is such a blessing.
I've stopped crying over the past and we're both focusing on the future.
"You know, next month is Christmas "
She sounds excited when she says this.
"I hope you're not thinking of trees and decorations like red lights hanging around the house.
She giggles. I know I'm right.
"It's not a bad idea", she defends.
"It's a horrible idea. The worst ever "
She frowns. We're having our lunch at work. We're at a fish and chips store and we're sitting in the chairs outside.
"We can just have the tree. A white one"
She's beaming. I just nod.
"I guess I'm willing to make that sacrifice "
"Oh, thank you"
She hugs me.
Luthando kicks during the hug.
"Woah "
Her eyes shoot out, which makes me laugh.
"He's quite a kicker"
She puts her hand on top of mine on my stomach and we both dwell in the moment, with our eyes closed.
"Yaya"
I open my eyes and he's shadowing us.
I never really prepared myself for this moment.
Whether in my heart or brain.
"Siyabulela"
I make sure to emphasise my annoyance with my voice.
"Why did you block my number?"
He looks... Scary
"You.. You can't talk to her like that "
I'm glad to have my knight with me. I'm trying to understand why he looks so pissed.
"Shut up! Ayanda, can't you talk? "
He sounds softer now.
I can talk but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I think I've lost feeling in my mouth. Kidding but I can't say anything. Yet.
I shake my head. I'm not really lying.
He sighs then sits in front of us.
"He's mine, you know. He's my son and I deserve to be a part of his life"
"Who said it's a he? "
"I heard you guys talking. You're pretty loud "
I roll my eyes. I look at my wrist watch and we have to go. Thank God
"I have a job to get back to"
Alexis helps me stand like I can't do it. I've accepted that she's with me and that maybe, I'm not alone.
Yes, I don't have any family but I have her and Luthando.
"We still need to talk "
I don't reply but just walk away.
I'm not about to allow him to have any control over my life.
He lost that right when he got married without even breaking things off.
The only thing I do is unblock his number then get back to work.
.
Siya watched them walking away. She looked happy. So happy without him. He never thought he'd see that day. A part of him envied her happiness.
Things weren't so happy on his side. He had found out about his wife's infidelity and he was too hurt to do anything about it.
He stood up after they had disappeared and walked back to his car.
He didn't drive home but went to the office instead.
He took out his laptop and looked at the footage once again.
It had been five days since he found out but he still couldn't make peace with it.
"Why me, God? Am I paying for my sins? I thought she loved me. I was convinced she did? "
He had never been someone who prays but he couldn't hold it in. The pain was mixed with regret, disappointment and anger.
He could not have imagined that his high school sweetheart, his soul mate will turn into this gold digger who just wanted his money.
He called the bank. He knew he had to do something fast.
Andrew answered. He was the one who managed their accounts and who was very scared of him
"Mr Dhlomo"
"I need you to transfer all the money in my wife and I's joint account to my personal account "
Andrew was not even surprised when he didn't greet him.
"OK sir, I'll get right to it"
"Also cancel all the credit cards she has access to"
Andrew didn't dare ask him why. He did as instructed.
He hang up the call and laid back on his chair.
He was grateful he wasn't married in community of property.
He knew however, that he would have fought for her not to get anything.
"Sorry ma'am, your card got declined "
"What? "
Cindy asked, thinking of how impossible this is.
"Try it again "
She said, looking at the paper bags full of her clothes.
The cashier looked at her with pity.
"I've tried it three times "
She took out two more cards and they followed the same ordeal.
She was now beyond embarrassed.
"May I please call my husband? "
"Go ahead"
The cashier allowed this because Cindy was a regular at their store.
Siya looked at his phone ringing. He decided to act rather casual.
"Sthando sam"
"Baby, my cards are declining. What's happening?"
" I thought you called to say you miss me? "
She was impatient and he was pissed.
"Siya, please"
"Look, I'm about to go into a meeting. My PA just entered my office. I'll see you later, I love you"
He hang up on her.
She knew there was nothing else she could do.
Luke didn't have enough money to pay for all her expensive garments.
She was hurt. She put the bags down and walked away shameful.
She felt like crying. She was hurt. So hurt that she didn't even feel like going home...
"It was about time"
Luke said after Cindi had gotten into his house. He was happy to see her.
"He cut me off"
She said, sobbing. He pulled her into an embrace, realising the mood she was in.
"I'm sorry " he said, meaning every word.
His embrace was enough to comfort her. She wiped her tears with his collar.
"I'm so sorry for this mess"
"Don't be", he said and kissed her forehead. He went to pour her some water and she gulped down half of it.
"I think he knows "
His eyes shot out. He hadn't prepared himself for that. He knew Siya, he knew what he was capable of but he had to pull himself together.
"You know I'm with you, through it all"
They hugged once again.