-3- A New Beginning

Years passed as Cullen rose in the ranks and grew into his armour, his new title and ranking bringing him to Kirkwall where he met their champion Garrett Hawk; who he later helped defend the citizens of Kirkwall from Knight Commander Meredith and the invading Quanari. Through the years his hatred of mages had also lessened and he was finally able to see them as people once more, people who held power over everyone else. Though mages could have potentially ruled over everything and everyone around them -Tervinters being a good example- Ferelden mages were still being oppressed and forced into circles to be controlled. Cullen found himself no longer believing in what the circle stood for and had left the Templar ranks shortly after, some of his Templar recruits following his example and leaving with him. Even though he was joining a rising force called The Inquisition as a soldier Commander, his troops still referred to him as their Knight Commander.

Clanking armour and all, the small group of ex-Templars marched on a dusty trail that led towards a small hold called Haven where the Inquisition had begun to build their ranks, a seeker named Cassandra supposedly awaiting their arrival. From behind him Cullen heard the mumbles of his soldiers, their voices soft against the heavy clanking of their metal plated armour. He hadn't minded their small conversations behind him as they traveled, but a distant sound had caught his attention and it was hard to understand with their constant chatter. He abruptly came to a halt holding his fisted hand up at a ninety degree angle to signal the troops to stop, all of them becoming quiet immediately, standing stiffly in alert.

Listening hard Cullen waited for the sound to come again, his eyes narrowing in focus. From somewhere to their right came the sound again, distant and eerie. The echoed sound was similar to a roar, an animalistic cry of some kind produced from a large brutish chest. Within moments a small panic flooded over the group, Cullen's eyes narrowing at his soldiers at their childish behaviour. Shushing them he raised his arms trying to get everyone's attention, all at once their eyes focused on a point behind him. At first he smiled at his sudden control over all of his panicked followers but it was short lived as some drew their swords, eyes wide and fearful.

"Makers breath what are you men doing?" He breathed quietly, small ruffled beats filling his ears as he felt himself go stiff. Just as he began to turn around a few startled yells rang out, a strong wave of force sending him sprawling out on his back, dirt becoming airborne. Eyes wide he caught the sight of a massive blur fly over him, the soldiers crying our battle cries as they all swung at the creature. Dumbfounded Cullen stayed horizontal for a moment before shooting up, his eyes locking on a massive grey dragon that flew away from them.

It was a very lean and muscular dragon from what he could tell, it's wings being it's main source of movement by how massive they were compared to its body. He watched as it's tail angled to the right and it made a tight 'U' turn back towards them, it's sharp streamlined head pointed right at him. As it neared the men yelled even more, two quickly running over to Cullen. Grabbing his arms they pulled him to his feet, both with horrified expressions as they braved themselves for the coming fight. The dragon's chest heaved as its winged shoulders moved at a fast pace. Only a few yards away now he could clearly see the beasts narrowed eyes, his heart slowing its fast pace as a sense of remembrance flooded him. Along with the creatures grey scaled body, it held mesmerizing cloudy orbs. The small slits thin and focused as its lips parted and a loud scream like yowl came from deep within its throat, his soldiers scrambling to get into position.

Landing a little more than half a football field away the dragon lowered its head, its snake like neck arching as it surveyed the small group of soldiers. With flared nostrils it let out large huffs of breath, it's lightly scaled belly heaving before its breathing went completely silent. Locking eyes with Cullen it folded its massive wings, it's eyes narrowing gently before widening in what seemed like realization. The commander was almost compelled to wake up to the creature, its gaze drawing him in as it watched him unblinking with a relaxed expression. One of his men let out a cry as he charged at the creature, its eyes instantly snapping in his direction as it lowered its stance and flared its wings.