-4- His Undying Love

Cullen had got word that a prisoner had been taken from where this so called 'Rift' had appeared, the mage he now knew as Solas was using magic to keep her alive. He and a few other soldiers had been fighting off demons for a while, a rift opening up above them every now and then to spit more demons out at them. His sword came down hard as he struck a Rage Demon down, the creature crying out before swiping at him. The blow making contact to the side of his helmet that resembled a lion. Quickly he brought his shield up and smashed it hard against the demons chest forcing it backwards. It stumbled for a moment before his sword dove deep into its fiery chest, a screech filling his ears before the rift drew its essence back with in it.

Before he knew it, another group had joined their fight. Solas, Cassandra, Varic and a female mage that had her back towards him as she summoned electrical currents down upon the demons, each freezing in place as the colts ran through them. This gave the soldiers a break to strike killing blows easily and vanquish the remaining demons back into the rift, the Female mage raising her hand towards the rift as a green beam shot between it and her hand. Within moments the rift crackled and burst before disappearing all together, his eyes on the young woman as he awaited their introduction.

"Lady Cassandra, you managed to close the rift. Well done." He started, his eyes only glancing at Cassandra before they were locked on the mage, her dirty blonde hair held up in a messy bun that looked like it was about to come undone.

"Do not congratulate me Commander, this is the prisoners doing." Stepping to the side she gave him a full view of the mage, his eyes widening as she turned around. He barely believed his eyes, before him stood his Faith. Her grey eyes meeting his, a calm expression remaining on her face as if she didn't recognize him. How could she? His helm hid most of his face other than his eyes.

"I-Ahem." Clearing his throat he nearly dropped his sword, emotions rushing through him like the worst storms along the coast. It took all he had to stand in place and not run over to her and embrace her. She had aged beautiful, filling out her armour in the most desirable of places, her soft curves still maintaining her exotic look that she had, had when he had first met her in the circle. "I hope they are right about you." He lowered his voice tone trying to keep his identity from her. Did she even remember him? It had been so long ago, yet here he was falling head over heels for her again the moment their eyes met.

"As does everyone else here, Commander." She replied, her voice nearly knocking him off his feet. Makers breath he had missed her, feared the worst. But here she was, standing in front of him when all had seemed lost. Sheathing his sword he turned and helped one of his soldiers up, their gratitude a small mumble as they took their stand again a few feet away, Cullens face heating up as he felt Faiths heated gaze on him.

"The way to the temple should be clear, Lilliana will meet you there." He spoke quickly and with a tense voice to Cassandra, trying not to glance bath at Faith.

"Then we best move quickly." She replied to the group, all eyes on her. Cullen took a small step back as the other soldiers began to regroup at the archway of the ruins, his eyes sliding to Faith for just a moment.

"Maker watch over you, for all our sakes." He nearly whispered, wanting to accompany them to the large rift. He knew his place and that she may not even feel for him anymore, so many years having past. Hesitantly he turned and jogged to regroup, his mind a whirlpool as he fought with himself about what might have happened to her through out all the years. He hoped to the maker that she would survive to see him in Haven and that their reunion wasn't just a dirty trick to be snatched away in an instant.

It seemed like hours but finally the rift had been closed, Faith having used her new gift and saving the world from what had started the end. All her strength had been drawn from her due to the strength of the rift, and she now lay asleep in a bed. Cullen had made sure she had gotten her own cabin and that it was one of the nicest they could provide, various servants making their way in and out to check on her and tend to her medical needs. More than once he had found himself perched at her bed side, hands held together and head bowed as he prayed for her to wake up. He could not lose her when he had just gotten her back.

Even with his prayers she laid in bed, duty calling him away from her as matters needed to be tended to around Haven, his soldiers training being one of them; along with the Inquisitions next steps. Days like this passed until one fateful day he got word that she was finally awake.

"The Herald-" Was all it took to send Cullen barreling towards Faiths cabin. He would not let anything happen to her, even if she didn't remember him. With his armour clanking loudly he ran up the stairs and through the snow with large strides, his hand reaching the door of her cabin in moments before the door was flung open. With wide eyes he was met with the surprise of an empty bed, fear filling him before his chest became fuzzy and his heart beat doubled its speed. She was up.

"Where did the Herald go?" He called to a servant that was passing by, her angled elvish eyes narrowing slightly.

"I believe she went to the chantry Commander." Her steps slowing as she witnessed their Soldier Commander who was usually stiff and serious nearly throw himself into motion as he sprinted towards the Chantry sending heaps of snow into the air behind him.

As he entered the war room to hear Cassandra talking, introducing Faith to everyone. His eyes meeting her back that was clothed in what looked to be some kind of fur.

"And there is Commander Cullen, you met him briefly in the field." Taking in a sharp breath of air he watched as Faith turned around after Cassandra was done talking, heat spreading across his face. He was closer to her now, closer than he had been in the field and could see her face in more detail now. Along her left cheek bone was a thin scar that laced with a few other small lines making a natural intricate pattern along her cheek. Her full lips were slightly parted as if she were about to speak but remained still. Her stormy eyes met his amber ones and lit up every so slightly.

"Cullen." She breathed softly, his heart fluttering at the heavenliness of her voice. He could never get tired of such a beautiful sound. The two of them remained frozen as the other began to speak of what was next for the Inquisition. A soft smile appearing on Faiths lips that made Cullen upturn the corner of his. He knew he couldn't show any affection towards her in front of the others, but Maker was he glad she remembered him.

After Cassandra and Lilliana were finished voicing their concerns, Everyone filtered out of the was room. Except for Faith and Cullen. He just couldn't take his Amber eyes off of her. She had aged so beautifully the very thought of her was enough to send a crimson fade across his cheeks. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it as she threw herself at him, wrapping her arms tightly around him and embracing him.

"Cullen, I'm so happy your alright." She started, her face burrowing into the pelt around his shoulders and chest. He stood for a moment frozen before taking her into his arms, his nose nuzzling into her hair, her scent taking hold of him. "I'm sorry I left you in the tower."

"Faith, I was hoping I'd see you again." He felt him self quiver before holding her tighter. He wasn't going to lose her again.