-10- The Hold That Would Raise An Army

Flakes of snow bounced off the wings of a large black bird as it soared through the cold air, white trees lining the ground below marking a lightly forested area. Between the trees marched a medium sized group of people, along with horses and cattle that all bore bags and carts carrying crucial supplies for the group. Among them sat Faith, her body wrapped in various furs that made up a light but warm armour crafted for her to also conceal her bandaged body. Solas had spoke about a large hold in the mountains that could house the Inquisition while they recovered and grew from the battle at Haven, all agreeing that this was a better idea than spending the winter in small thin tents.

Cullen held the reins to his horse which Faith sat on top of, his eyes lingering up to her every now and then as she gripped the saddle tighter when pain struck her. He couldn't help but think about how she had been in the tent back at their make-shift camp, even with her being wounded. At least his blushing cheeks offered him some warmth from the nippy air. They had ventured away from their camp as soon as the sun cleared the mountains around them, Solas predicting they would find the hold just before dusk fell.

"Is that it over there?" Faith spoke softly, Cullens eyes following her gaze before he smiled gently. Along the blue skyline sat a large grey structure, its walls high and intense compared to the surrounding rocks. It held scars of a battle long forgotten, chunks missing in places while others were completely fine. Everyone stood in awe as they marvelled at such a good being abandoned, it's glory days long past. Faith smiled know that with just a little love and care it could be brought back to the feared hold it once was by its enemies.

As they entered the archway that lead into the main grounds, all it's wounds were exposed. Towers were left crumbling, shattered wood from the interior or the walls lay scattered throughout the grass in heaps, holes spotting what seemed to be the main building of the hold. There was a hushed sigh lingering through the crowd as they realized hard work was imminent if they wanted to be at least a little warm tonight.

Getting their cattle and horses settled everyone went straight to work clearing up the wood and heaps of stone, or at least piling them out of the way so they had enough room to set up their tents. Faith has gotten off her horse and was just about to start helping when Cullen gently grasped her shoulder. She froze and slowly turned around to see his worried yet stern expression.

"They will manage, you need to get your rest." He took her by the hand and lead her towards the large carts piled with bags of the groups things, giving her leverage as she jumped up and sat down on the edge.

"I'm not glass Cullen, I can help without pushing myself." She muttered slightly annoyed but great full for his care, watching as his eyes danced back and forth from hers.

"I know." His gaze fell for a moment as he tried to formulate the proper words, a light blush trailing across his cheeks. Faith took note of the pink spreading across his face as she smiled, her hand moving to gently cup his cheek and jawline making him look back up to her.

"I know you care for me Cullen, but I'm stronger than I look. Believe me, I've been through worse than having to deal with a dragon and a crazed man thinking he's a god." Giving a soft chuckle Cullen shook his head, her hand trailing to just under his right ear where she gently combed his hair on the back of his neck. He instantly felt calmer, the blush becoming deeper as he leaned into her, letting his head rest on her shoulder and the crook of her neck, he's arms shaking around her gently as he embraced her. "I'll be fine."

"Maker, I hope so." He breathed, feeing her delicate fingers dance through his short hair, her breath softly hitting his neck as she leaned closer to him.

"Then maybe we could finish what we started in the tent? Only if you'd like to that is." Her words sent chills down to his crotch as he became stiff. He nuzzled into her neck more as his grip tightened ever so slightly. This woman looked like an angel yet tempted him like a demon, was he sure he had made it out of that tower?

"Faith..." He let out a pained yet wanting growl before he felt her lips peck his neck, then his cheek as she shifted away from him. He stood straight once more, seeing her seductive eyes shining brightly as she examined her handy work on his bright red face.

By night fall they had made a dent in the chaos that had been the grounds within the hold, most of the rubble and wood cast to the side in heaps to make room for their tents. Most had clustered together with their arrangement of tents, while others had ventured off into different parts of the hold seeking to gain some privacy or even a vantage point if they were attacked. While most were fast asleep within their tents, Faith silently paced around, examining the grounds that would be their new home.

The main hall was completely ramshackle and bore more than a handful of wounds, wood and stone littering the ground along with large scraps of fabric that would have adorned the walls bearing the mark of the past residents. Within her palm floated a small bright light, her mana having regenerated from her day of rest allowing her to use common lesser spells. At the end of the long hall sat a large stone chair, a throne even, its marble skin cracked and wrinkled from whatever war had raged before her time.

Her fingers gently trailed down the cold arm of the stone, jagged edges catching her skin. Beyond the cold touch of the surface she felt a buzzing in her hand, a quiver even. A small smile crossed her lips as she let the ball of light leave her palm and float around the room. There was magic within these walls, no matter how small, it was calling her. She had dabbled in almost all types of magic, including the ones most dared to speak of but this magic caught her attention. It was almost as if it was clawing at the walls trying to get to her, to touch her flesh and bind with it. Most magic was weld by the caster, but this one; this one wanted to weld a vessel.

Closing her eyes Faith attempted to find where she was hearing and feeling the strongest presence, hoping to find its source and figure out what it was. She could hear the soft whistle of the wind outside, the distant cries of birds, and the snores of everyone in the court yard, but amongst it all she could hear a buzz. It was similar to a bee, if that bee was miles away and you could hear just the slightest of sound that is. A few minutes passed as she focused everything she had on that soft buzzing until it began to get stronger and louder, her very skin crawling with anticipation at what she might find.

*Snap* The intensity made Faith jump as she heard a sound from right behind her, her eyes snapping open as her arm raised. Her fingertips flicked with small flames as her eyes focused ahead of her. Inches from the flames stood a wide eyed Cullen, his eyes glassy yet shocked as he looked down to the flames. It was easy to see he had just woken up, his hair slightly out of place and his face tired looking.

"What are you doing? I could have torched you Cullen!" Faith yelled in a worried tone, her hand lowering as the orb of light floated back over to her. He stood baffled for a moment before running a hand over his face.

"You weren't in your tent, I got worried." He replied groggily, his eyes training on the orb in curiosity.

"What were you doing at my tent?" Faith replied with a cocked eyebrow. Still being half asleep Cullen shook his head having no energy to stutter as he normally did when embarrassed.

"Just checking up on you, making sure your bandages were holding and you were settled." Tilting her head softly Faith smiled, her hand grazing his cheek before she leaned in and kissed him. Cullen merely smiled in response before holding out his hand to take hers, hoping she would come willingly with him back to bed rather than stand in the dark alone.

As she reached for his hand she let out a whimper, pain erupting in her palm as the Anchor began glowing brightly, streams of green glowing veins trailing up to her wrist as she screamed out in pain. In an instant Cullen was fully awake, fear appearing on his face as Faiths knees gave way, her screams silencing before she reared back with her eyes rolling up fluttering closed. Before she could hit the floor he caught her, holding her close to his chest yelling out for help, several voices echoing through the crumbling hall as they raced towards him.