-11- Renovations

Darkness surrounded Faith as she began to breath heavily, her eyes darting around to find some kind of light source, anything to help her escape. Deep rumbles and growls echoed around her before two large eyes appeared in front of her, their slitted pupils honing in on her as a deep voice spoke in the back of her mind. It's words were ancient sounding and registered as only white noise before a jagged mouth opened baring an orange glow, the sound of a deep breath filling her ears before a wave of fire spewed towards her.

A jolt sent her upright as she gasped, sweat pouring down her forehead as her eyes slowly came into focus. Large stain glass windows cast colourful shadows on the sheets that lay rippled on her legs, the jagged shapes of mountains looming in the distance. A large exquisite looking room enclosed her from the cold, various bookshelves and desks laying about to decorate the stone room. Rough fabric scratched her face as she palmed it, her hand wrapped heavily in cream coloured bandages concealing the Anchor.

"Your awake." Came a stoic voice from the other side of her bed where she hadn't looked yet, Solas sitting cross legged in a chair holding a book. "I was afraid you'd sleep the rest of the breach away." He chuckled, the book now resting face down on his thigh. He looked tired yet rested at the same time, a sign he had been using large amounts of mana for an extended amount of time.

"What do you mean? What happened?!" Faith inquired, sitting up more and struggling to get the blankets off of her. Getting up Solas placed a hand on her shoulder, pushing her gently backwards to make her lay back down.

"Don't get up, you need all the energy you can get right now. The Anchor expanded once more and sent you into a coma, I've been keeping it at a manageable state while you recovered." Scrunching up her nose Faith looked at him in disbelief, her eyes narrowing as she tried to understate what he had just said.

"Coma? What are you talking about? How long was I asleep?" He watched her carefully before removing his hand from her shoulder, settling back into his chair.

"A few weeks." He stated plainly, as if it hadn't been that big of a deal. Faith let her jaw drop as she stared at him, unable to believe a word he said. How had she let that happen? What had gone on while she slept her weeks away?

"Yeah, right." She chuckled defensively, strands of her hair falling to the side of her face as she shook her head.

"Sky Hold is nearly cleaned up, we are starting to work on renovations. This very room is at the top of the main hall, it had been in ruins before and is now a fully functional get away for you." He muttered, getting up and walking towards one of the open doors that also served as a large window. "When you get the energy, come look for yourself." His hand motioning to the balcony. "And also, I would advice visiting Cullen, he hasn't been doing well the last few weeks during your deep sleep."

She gave him a confused glance before he gave a shrug, walking towards what she assumed were the stairs leading back to the main hall. "He hasn't been sleeping that well but still insists on working. You'll find him down in the court yard by the stairs, probably drowning in papers." He muttered uninterestedly before disappearing down the stairs. Faith let her eyes close as she took in a deep breath, her mind a spinning mess over her bad dream and the fact that she had been asleep for more than a few days. The Anchor was growing and trying to kill her? If she closed the breach would that remove the Anchor?

Opening her eyes once more she let them wander the various colours of glass that painted her room with colourful glowing shapes, the stinky covers of the bed clinging to her as she attempted to get up. Using the bed post she stood, her knees quaking as her muscles strained to work after being at rest for so long. Taking a few shaky steps she manifested a long spirit shard staff that served as a walking stick comprised of a focus of mana. The room was gorgeous but her main concern was now on Cullen.

The Commander stood slouched over a makeshift desk, scrolls and pages of parchment spilling over its surface barely contained by the seemingly small amount of surface area. By the time Faith had made it to the top of the stairs that led down to Cullen, seven soldiers and come and gone giving and taking papers that Cullen was furiously trying to read through before scribbling a signature and handing it off to whoever would take it. His usually styled hair was messy and wasn't staying slicked back as it usually was, instead several strands hung down on his crinkled forehead. His eyes were dim and glass, light bags outlining the bottom of his eye due to lack of rest.

He didn't even look up when Faith stepped up to him, standing beside another soldier who was trying to sort through a few pages after Cullen and hastily handed them to her. She frowned at the sight of him, even though he was exhausted he still worked on, trying his best to push aside his own needs and give to others. It was one of the traits she both loved and hated about him. When the soldier had left it almost seemed like Cullen felt intimidated, his body going rigid before he slowly looked up, his nose scrunched up in irritation like a lion about to bite down on a gazelle before his whole face softened.

"Maker, Faith!" His voice wavered as he stumbled around the desk, papers floating down to the grass as he quickly pulled her into a tight embrace, her staff disappearing as both her hands opened and stretched as her torso was squeezed. "I wasn't aware you were awake, h-how are you feeling?" Pulling out of the hug he left his ands on the sides of her shoulders, an expression of 'oops' appearing on his face as he realized he just squeezed her.

"Better than you it seems, when was the last time you had a good nights sleep?" She replied, brushing her fingertips down the side of his cheek, his eyes closing without hesitation at the comfort her touch brought.

"Too long ago. I was just so worried, I-"

"Cullen." She spoke softly, his eyes focusing on hers that were soft and loving, her lips slightly parted as she looked him over. "Why don't you go get some rest, I'll make sure all your papers are in order for tomorrow, okay?" Resting his hand on hers he chuckled, shaking his head ever so slightly.

"I can sleep later, I've got a lot of work today, and it will be easier knowing now that you are alright." Raising an eyebrow Faith closed her lips as if disappointed at his response, her hand leaving his as she let if trail across his chest, disappearing out of his sight behind him. Hugging him from behind, she rested her head on the side of his bicep, looking over at him.

"I wasn't asking for your permission Commander." She smiled softly before taking him by the hand and leading him up the stairs away from the desk.

"I've got my own room." He started, Faith slowing her pace and looking back at him. "It's just over there, I've got a bed and everything." Pointing to a near by tower on the outside wall he pulled her softly with him as he led her to it.

The old door creaked as it opened, their gaze met with a large desk and a few bookshelves settled against the wall. Giving him a weird look she nodded toward the desk before hearing him chuckle. "Up there, but the desk would be big enough." Above them was a ceiling made of wooden panels, some broke but others fully functional, a thin ladder leading up into a small wooden hatch frame. Cullen allowed her to climb up first, both out of curtsy and the fact he could enjoy the view as he climbed. As they stood on the second floor, Faith let her eyes wander, a beautiful wooden bed with red sheets was rested against the wall with its blankets thrown about, the rest of the small room barren.

"Do you like it?" Cullen smiles behind her, hoping she would. There was a few moments of silence before she turned around, her arm raising before she pointed up, her brows furrowing in confusion.

"Why's there a hole in the roof?"