-5- Demons of Pride

The thunder of hooves clouded the air as Faith held tightly to the reins of her horse. The black stallion rode dangerously as it showed off its deadly speed and force, kicking up chunks of snow as it bellowed forwards. Cullen rode not far behind on a grey stallion, the horse letting out small unsure whinnies as it snorted at the clouds of snow that just barely made contact with its nose.

"Faith, slow down!" Cullen called trying to get her attention, his brows furrowing at her resilience towards following the proper procedure and respectable way of doing things. Yet it was also something he held dearly about her that he loved. She gave a quick glance over her pelted shoulder before slowing the stallion down, a loud whinny leaving its maw before it stoped completely and stood with a strong chest letting out heavy breaths. Cullen cursed softly before heaving on the reins to stop his stallion, the creature letting out a cry before digging its hooves into the ground in an attempt to slow its frantic pace. In an instant Cullen was thrown from his horse into a snow bank as the stallion made a sharp turn trying to miss his counterpart, Faith covering her mouth to hide a laugh as the commander sailed into the snow bank in a heap.

Dismounting Faith clicked her tongue signalling for the horse to stay in place, the black Stallion letting out a heavy breath as if disapproving. Standing over him Faith held out a hand, the large hood that hung around her face holding most of her hair back except for a few strand that slipped out to hug her jawline. Cullen looked up to meet her stormy eyes, amusement behind them as she looked down to him; a small smirk upon her soft lips. With a swift movement he grabbed her hand hearing a surprised gasp before pulling her down into the snow too. He had expected her to fall beside him but instead she fell straight on top of him, her cold nose pressing against the side of his neck as she huffed. Tingles ran through Cullens body feeling her pressed against him, her scent filling his nose.

Sure it had been a few weeks since they had been reunited, but every morning he got to see her felt like the first time he had laid eyes on her. Faith had requested to go out and buy a few things that she had addressed would be good for the Inquisition to acquire while they were still getting their footing. Manuscripts and recipes had been on her list, her idea of power coming from vast knowledge that could be acquired from all around them. Better to know your enemy and battle field than to go in blind.

"What was that for?" She inquired, resting her hands on his chest as she propped herself up slightly, meeting his gaze. A sweep of pink appeared across Cullens cheeks as he stuttered, still not use to the fact of having her around and being able to be so close to her. At times he believed he was dreaming, a clear yet foggy dream that was so realistic it could be mistaken for reality.

"I-I don't know. I just thought-" He was cut off as her fingers weaves gently through his hair, his face becoming hotter as she leaned closer to him; her eyes following her hair.

"Hm?" Raising an eyebrow her gaze returned to his eyes, a small smile appearing on her face. "You have snow all in your hair Commander." She teased playfully.

"W-What? Oh. Thank you." He stuttered, a small nervous smile lacing his lips. He noticed how her grey eyes seemed to take in the features of his face, her lips slightly parted as her hand grazed his ear before stoping at the side of his cheek. The softest shade of pink appeared on her face as she cupped his cheek, the upper half of her face disappearing as she leaned forwards and kissed his forehead. Nearly gasping out loud Cullen took in a sharp breath, his heart beating out of his chest at the sudden gesture

"Thank you. For coming out here with me. I know you had a lot of work to do at Heaven but still decided to accompany me on my little shopping spree." She smiled, his eyes locked on her lips that shone slightly. Maker how he wanted to wrap his arms around her and kiss her, to run his hands through her hair freely and show her just how much he loved her. How much she meant to him even after all those lonely years and how much he was willing to give up for her sake. But instead all he could do was lay there, frozen as he watched her soft pink lips move, forming words with the most angelic voice he'd ever heard.

"It was nothing Faith, I'd do it again; anytime you wanted. My work can wait if it means knowing you are safe." Smiling softly he watched as her eyes lit up, the soft blush along her cheeks becoming more prominent.

"Well..." She started after a long moment. "Shall we continue? The city is not far." Cullen gave a small nod before helping support her as she got to her feet and dusted herself off.

"Please slow down a little, there really is no rush." He pleaded as they mounted their Stallions and continued on their way.

After their shopping spree they readied themselves for the task at hand, closing the breach. Cullen had been sent to rally his troops to be ready for anything while Faith suited up in thicker armour than just the warm furs and leather she had been adorned with before, Havens black smiths and council members all agreeing it was necessary.

Faith stood face to face with the massive green tear in the sky, her stormy eyes a bright emerald as the rift flowed within them. Her mark began to burn as she lifted her arm towards the rift, all eyes on her as soldiers, spies and her party members all waited to see what would become of her and their world. A link was formed between her hand and the rift, power surging through her arm into her chest as she fought to hold her composure. From inside the rift she could feel something brewing, a type of dark magic mixing with the rift energy before a small explosion severed the connection. Staggering backwards Faith readied herself for a fight as the rift shifted and twisted, a massive silhouette making its way to the surface of the rift.

Grabbing her staff Faith widened her stance, bracing for impact as her party members did the same, their eyes widening as a massive purple beast was dispelled from the rift. Faith had seen these creatures before, but this one, this one was different. Before them stood a massive Pride Demon, it's claws extending as it let out a furious roar, it's black beady eyes narrowing in on them as everyone stood at the ready. 

Having vast knowledge of spells and all kinds of magic, Faith examined the Demon closely trying to figure out what her best option would be. Before she knew it Rage Demons and Wraiths surrounded them, everyone letting out yells as they fought against the advancing forces. Narrowing her eyes Faith smirked, her hands erupting into flames as she sheathed her staff on her back. With a flick of her wrist she whispered an ancient spell she had learnt from one of her many books that had been lost when she had been captured, excitement filling her chest.

From above massive chunks of burning rock fell, all the on lookers taking shelter under ruins as she focused on missing any of her allies. Demon after Demon fell, their bodies pinned to the ground or completely crushed by the boulders. Shifting her gaze from the masses of blood and crushed bodies Faith eyed up the Pride Demon that had been swatting the boulders away like flies, it's teeth bared in a similar fashion as a lions. With heavy steps it paced towards her, slowly beginning to run at her with an arm outstretched. She knew what was coming.

Bracing herself she held her forearm across her point of view, watching as a line of electricity was formed in the Demons hand. It's movement was similar to a whip as it came down hard on top of her. Several yells come from around them as Havens forces watched electricity engulf her, she heard one in particular that made her heart drop slightly. Somewhere above on the balcony of the ruins was Cullen, he sounded so heart broken as he watched intently. There was the sound of a small scuffle, like he was fighting with someone before all went quiet. Except for the dee rumble of the Pride Demon laughing.

After all the electricity died down around her she let out a small grunt, holding her arm in place as a small see through plate in front of her arm shone brightly. Bolts of electricity flowed through it and sparked out around the edges, the corners of Faiths lips curling upwards as she threw her arm out, the electricity exploding from the plate and rushing towards the Pride Demon. As if it where a tidal wave the small storm of electricity grew the further t traveled, it's height reaching just above the Demons head before colliding with it.

Solas, Varric, Cassandra and Dorian all gasped as the Pride Demon as electrocuted to the point why the edges of its skin were beginning to char. Taking the advantage she had given them, Faith threw up her other arm that bore the mark and began to close the rift, the connection beginning once more as it slowly began to drain her strength. Feeling her legs about to give out She quickly grabbed her staff and plunged it into the ground in order to give herself leverage, the rift putting up a fight before a massive explosion blinded her. She felt herself be thrown away from the rift and hit the ground hard on her back, all her air escaping her. In the distance she heard cheers before everything slowly went black, the fade welcoming her home with open arms.