It's Called a Joke

"Not even a hairless cat would be jealous of her hair." Isabelle stated distastfully as she peeped through the door of her father's study. Her shinny black hair was tied up in a high ponytail with sky blue bow wrapped around it. Her back was turned to us as Alec and I tried to move her poofy blue and white dress out of the way so we too could attempt to hear what was going on, on the other side of the door. Isabelle was about my height, which was quite tall for a girl, and she was fearless. So, she didn't hesitate to elbow both Alec and I out of the way.

"Izzy, we don't care what she looks like!" I whispered yelled at her.

She raised a dark eyebrow at me that was perfect even back when we were kids. "Oh, so you don't care that she has demon gunk all over that hideous outfit of hers?"

"I don't care about the adjectives." I huffed. Alec, who had always been much taller than us sighed. He always act superior to us but we knew he would be even more annoyed without us at his side. He opened his mouth to say something but, was cut short by both Izzy and I yelling curses that we shouldn't have known at that age as we fell to the ground. The great shinny oak wood door opened and out sprinted a tiny figure clad in what Izzy would have described a hideous outfit. I mean sure her shoes were last season, but it wasn't that bad of an outfit.

"Isabelle, Alec-" I herd Maryse say, but I was chasing after the figure before she could tell me anything. For a moment I thought I lost her before I herd the thud of the training room door. I raced to the door a looked around wearily. I grabbed a seraph blade to defend myself if necessary.

Finally, I stopped at the corner where the double bladed staffs were hung. They were more for decoration since they were so hard and impractical to use. There with a staff bigger than herself stood a little girl her hair was in two messy braids, and she was covered in demon blood. She was standing tall and holding the staff out defensively. Her big aqua blue eyes were glaring daggers at me as she gripped the staff tightly with her cream coloured hands that were beginning to turn white because of the strength she was using to grip it.

We both just stood there staring at one another. She had turned eight that very day and I was going to turn eleven in about two months. She was tiny even for her age, but I was still starstruck I felt no physical attraction for her, but when my eyes met hers I felt something click. Like the match that started a fire. Two nuclear bombs beginning to tick. I opened my mouth to speak, but closed it not knowing what to say. "That light what is it?" She frowned looking at the seraph blade in my hands.

My eyes widened in surprise, usually the person that was cornered didn't ask the questions. "It's a seraph blade. For shadowhunters." I explained all of a sudden very interested in the weird little girl in front of me. "That's what you are, I think."

She looked at me unimpressed and poped her hip out. "And how would you know that?"

"Actually, I'm not sure. I just think so, here hold this." I told her while handing her another seraph blade. "Say Malik." I instructed.

"Malik" When her small hand grabbed the sword her sky blue eyes flashed neon blue like a spark and gun powder. The blade was also set alight, it's glow reflecting on her big clear blue eyes. "What is this?"

"I just told you... like ten seconds ago."

"I-I'm a shadow thingy."

"Yes, let me show you how to use this thing Now, it knows you're a shadowhunter, so it wants to respond. But you have to be firm show it who's boss. You need to make it a part of yourself. The blade never dims, it's saying you two belong together."

She looked at me confused and unimpressed. That wasn't the usual reaction I received. Sure, I was young but everyone loved me. "How?"

I snapped my head back to look at Jessamine. That wasn't her response. After I told her that she made some star wars reference and then gasped when I had no idea what she was talking about.

She inturrupeted my seraph blade disscuison and gave me a lecture on what she called a cinematic masterpiece. However, when I looked up I wasn't ten anymore and an eight year old Jessamine wasn't standing in front of me. Instead, there stood Clary her orange-red hair burning against the dark secenry of the graveyard we were in. "Jace?" She asked me worriedly at the total daze I was just in. I looked to my left to see Mine still sitting on top of a tombstone, her small yet slightly scarred hands from battle, clenched at her sides.

I shook my head slightly in hopes of snapping back to reality. Before I could answer Jessamine beat me to it. "Like lightsabers." A huge grin came over my face as I stared at her, but she just stared at me with almost dissapointed bright blue eyes. "I'm ah- gonna go patrol the perimeter. Wouldn't want any zombies going all world war Z on us now would we?" She smirked unconvincingly. At least unconvincingly for me.

Clary looked at me with wide eyes, but I stopped her. "No, Clary zombies don't exist. It was a joke we're in a graveyard."