Bring Out the Band... Oh Wait Nevermind

Maryse looked at me for a moment pondering her decision. It didn't matter where I went neither of the tasks were exactly difficult or likeable. "She should go with us, we could use Jessie's... methods of persuading." Jace spoke stepping up to stand next to me.

Maryse's dark eyes sharpened and I knew she had made up her mind. As much as I would rather go with Izzy and Jace I knew she would do the complete opposite just to mess up our strategies. She was always drilling into our heads that we have to be prepared for anything. "I'm babysitting aren't I?"

Maryse smiled at me slightly pleased but she still had the same cold look in her eyes. "It seems you're getting sharper Jessie dear." Jessie dear, where have I herd that before? "The Clave counts of us Lightwoods to keep order here." Well that was random and solely for dramatic purposes.

"You don't need to tell me that." Alec stated looking as serious as a soldier. He was right, all his life he trained to follow his parents' footsteps and keep order in the institute. He was the voice of reason in our group. "The mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle."

Maryse smiled down at the ground trying to control her anger. She was clear done with our bullshit but we were done with hers too. "You are all so eager to do what you would prefer. It's time to face the truth: life is not about what you want to do it is about what has to be done." She yelled even though we were all like three feet away. She was right though, we are Shadowhunters and our lifes extend much farther simply doing what we want we were born to keep light and peace but seeing as all the bullshit the Clave decides maybe we aren't doing a good job at it. "I've given you your assignments now carry them out. You and you come." She said pointing at Izzy and Jace before strutting away. Ah, so there's where Isabelle gets her power walk.

"We'll save breakfast for another time." Jace winked before following after Isabelle who was walking the same way Maryse went with her head down in sadness. I sighed feeling my parabati's emotions and I had to restain myself from begging Maryse to let me go with them just so I could support Izzy. I'm not sure how true this is but Brother Zechariah told us once that he hadn't seen a parabati bond so strong since some guys in London during the 19th century. 

"Well, that was a portal to the weird." Carrot sighed trying to break the tenson. "What'd you do to piss of your mom?"

"I don't know for starters, all the insane missions we embarked on your behalf weren't very big with the Clave." Alec hissed before walking away.

I swung an arm around her shoulder, which was akward since she was taller than me, and sighed. "We also opened a farmer's market full of Carrot related produce." She looked at me weirdly, not understanding the joke. "Just don't do anything dumb. I'm going to see why Alec's on his period again."

I walked down the halls of the institute with Alec, Jace, and a piece of toast in my hand. Finally, breakfast. It was crappy but it was food. Huh, that's probably what fifty year olds say about each other when they get married. "You're the active head of the institute, if you want to switch missions you should." Jace whinned as they strutted through the halls, while I had to lightly jog to keep up with them. Damn them and their long legs. "And you, Mine, your parabati is on this mission it's better for both your sakes if you went."

"I'd rather not give Maryse another reason to get Izzy in trouble." I said which was partially true, and also because I could use this time to do some research about Valentine independently.

"Me too, I'm actually going to follow through with this assignment to babysit your girlfriend." Alec said with a static expression on his face. I felt guilt rush through me, but what happened between Jace and I wouldn't happen again. You said that last time. Oh shut it conscious. This is going to be a slow slow burn. No in two days carrots will be Jace's favorite vegetable again. What if Jace was just playing with me? Wait wouldn't that be good? No. No it would not because then he would know I like him and get weirded out. By the angel, liking someone was complicated.

Jace's eyes flickered to me and I simply shifted my gaze looking at how dusty the institute still was. At least a good thing about Maryse being here is that she's going to hire a cleaning lady, or guy it doesn't matter. "Who Clary?"

"No the other one." I replied sarcastically rolling my eyes, out of annoyance.

Jace smirked at me smugly as if me getting annoyed at the word girlfriend somehow caused him pleasure. As if he somehow won. "Well I have a lot." He shrugged.

I shot him a glare. Damn, he knew how to annoy me. "Well, I'm pretty sure she's the only one we're babysitting."

Jace's smirk didn't flatter one bit as he shrugged. "She's more of my responsibility." Well, no duh he's the one who found her. "Just please keep an eye out for her."

"Wow he knows how to say please." I grumbled but then saw Alec's sad eyes and all the anger and annoyance I had washed away and I just wanted to hug him. "Hey what's wrong?" Jace asked worried. "Did you put my leather jacket in the laundry machine again?" He teased trying to lighten the mood but I smacked him upside the head telling him it wasn't a time to make jokes.

Alec sighed and looked between us. "At Magnus', the demon that didn't take the memory of you." Alec said and I was ready to bring out a marching band because how happy I was that Alec was going to come out.

"That? You love me so what? I love you too." Jace smiled, Alec's face lit up like a Christmas tree, and I literally facepalmed knowing Jace didn't catch Alec's drift. "We're parabatis, more than just brothers."

"I ah- yeah that's what I ment." Alec lied and I was ready to strangle both of them.

"If you want to follow mom's orders tonight that's fine. Just swear to me you won't take your eyes of Clary." Oh fuck this.

"I swear." Alec said and Jace's face broke out into a grin.

"Thanks Alec, you're the best." Jace said before pulling Alec into a hug. "I have to get ready for the misson know." He said pulling away. "I'll take you to breakfast when I come back, Mine." He called out already leaving.

"Yeah, at two in the morning." I replied before turning to Alec and giving him a side hug. "I'm sorry, Grumpy Cat." I said leaning my head on his shoulder.

He placed his head on top of mine and sighed. "It's not your fault Jessie."

"I-I know." I stuttered, but what of it was? "I'm proud of you though."

"Thanks Jessie," Alec said and I could hear the soft smile in his voice. "I love you, baby sister."

I smiled too. "Love you, big bro."