Heavy on the Mayo

Switzerland. What is Switzerland even good for anyway? I mean no offense to the Swiss or anything, I'm sure they're better than VSCO girls and meme obsessed Americans (I include myself in that population) but really what good was Switzerland? Well, maybe they were smarter than all the other countries in World War II, but Jace sure as hell isn't that smart. So what was he going to do? Make chocolate?

"What are you thinking about?" Alec sighed sitting down besides me eating a sandwich. His eyes trying to search mine for any exposure but it was much easier to read him instead. He looked tired. Probably too tired to hide his emotions, and all I saw was fear and regret. All this repairing the Lightwood name stuff was taking a toll on him not to mention he was busy chasing his Parabati around before he got accused of treason or something.

"Switzerland." I replied honestly, choosing not to comment on his current state.

Alec looked at me sympathetically, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Jessie, Jace is an—"

"No." I shook my head dismissively, taking his sandwich instead and helping myself to a bite that resulted in half the sandwich disappearing. "I mean, I don't buy the whole Switzerland thing." I spoke after gulping down his turkey sandwich. "Do you? Oh and you went a little heavy on the mayo."

Alec rolled his eyes trying to take the sandwich back only for me to shove the rest in my mouth and give him a smile. "I'll make sure to consider your opinion next time I make my sandwich."

"That's all I ask."

"We're getting off topic, what do you mean Jace is lying?"

I shrugged. "Think about it, when was the last time Jace was neutral about something?" Never that I can remember, he even had an opinion on what brand of toilet paper was the best. "Especially when it comes to Clary?" I added with a bit of resentfulness but shook it off because what I was getting at was more important.

"What do you think he's doing?" Alec asked, tiredy rubbing his hands across his face, knowing that I was right.

"Come on Alec, I'm all but acting it out for you." I rolled my eyes, leaning over to rest my elbows on my knees. I have a bad habit of contortioning into weird positions, Maryse hated it, which only prompted me to do it more. "Well, he probably already told Clary that Meliorn snitched her out. So, I think by now he's probably breaking a dozen of our rules to keep her away from Bridezilla." I nodded, yeah that sounds like a pretty solid estimate to me. "I just can't figure out how he plans to keep Carrot safe." I admitted, I used to be able to predict Jace's every move understand his motives, but now it was like I was grasping at air.

Alec's eyes widened, looking at me with fear. "Crap." He exclaimed, jumping up from the couch and scrambling out. "Shit, shit, shit."

"what?" I questioned right at his heels as he moved a lock with his steele. Out raised a sort of shelf embled onto the floor, it was empty but I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to be. "Oh no air!" I muttered sarcastically before I could stop myself. Instantly the smug smirk that instinctually loitered my lips fell.

My eyes widened in realization as I figured out what was so important the Jace would take from us. What he could use as leverage against the entire Clave. The damned thing we've been chasing the entire time! "Oh crap." I breathed out. "Crap! Crap!" I yelled frantically while pacing around, I could feel my breathing restrict and my hands shake despite my best efforts to stop them.

"It's fine Jessie." Alec spoke annoyed at the scene I was causing. The few shadowhunters that passed by us shot questioning looks my way but didn't say anything, already used to my weirdness.