Dr. Doofenshmirtz

"Okay now shift your weight forward." I instructed and watched Max's small body shift bringing the staff across his body. "Sloppy, but the ending is promising." When it came to training I went all GI Joe mode, so regardless of how giddy I was to see my baby brother and how proud I was of him pulling one of his best pranks yet my standards didn't decrease.

"The staff is harder than a sword, you don't simply need talent to wield it Max. You need elegance and concentration. One wrong move and a powerful opponent and you could end up with dislocated shoulders. Wanna practice with a sword now?" I asked him strutting over to the practice swords.

"Do I look like a quitter?" He sassed giving me an unimpressed look. Of course he inherited the 'I'm a boss bitch' genes.

"Fine." I huffed my brown hair out of my eyes and crossed my arms patently. "Repeat." See, the thing is Max is as promising of a shadowhunter as any Lightwood. He has the natural talent in his blood and the stubbornness too. He idolizes Jace and I. So, ever since he was old enough to differentiate weapons he's been hell bent on mastering a double edged staff, my signature weapon. It's not exactly a common weapon so whenever he's at the institute we make merry on training. I'm testing the waters to see just how bad he wants it, but one day this kid is going to be even better than me, I'll make sure of it. "Propel using your core, not your arms."

Max did as he was told and landed a semi-perfect move his footing was wrong, but still more impressive than even some adult shadowhunters. Someone behind us clapped. "Jessamine you truly are the best fighter we have." I turned around to face Robert who was lurking by the doorway his bald head gleaming and a small calculating smile on his face. All this guy needs is a lab coat to be the true embodiment of an evil scientist. "Which is why brought you this." He held up a pack wrapped in a pale green paper and tied together with a piece of leather.

I narrowed my eyes at him in suspicion but shrugged it off. Fuck it free stuff. He opened the binding and held it out to me. The item inside made my nipples go hard. There was a four piece set of kunai throw knives. Ew, I sound like a sociopath but these knives were sexy man. The handle was sculpted from dusty white wood and the blade was cold gleaming steel. On the blade Japanese cherry blossoms were engraved perfectly. Jace who? These babies were the hottest things I've seen all day. "I piú grandi pericoli arrivano in forme paradisiache." The greatest dangers come in heavenly forms.

"I'm going to take these before you tell me what you want." I told him awkwardly grabbing my new babies. "Max go show Isabelle your new moves." I instructed but didn't take my eyes off Robert. I knew Maryse and him were good people after they took me in as a weak scared little girl, but sometimes their ambition leads them to do extreme things to get what they want.

"I'm tall enough to ride a roller coster I should be able to listen." Max huffed and strutted out.

"Things in Idris, they've been complicated lately."

"That explains the smoke coming out of Maryse's nose." I was expecting a crack of a smile considering Robert was rather fond of my sass, but frowned when I saw his stone cold expression. "What happened?"

"Your brother's new pet, and Alec's unauthorized missions have made you rogue in the eyes of the clave." My brother? Oh, he meant Goldie Locks.

I shrugged nonchalantly twirling one of my daggers in a dance between my fingers watching the flowers darken. "Didn't they expect that from me after I spiked the punch at the Christmas party?" Robert's eyes widened and he opened his mouth ready to scold me. "Which isn't the point." I interrupted.

"From Jace and you, they don't care. You two are far too important for it to affect you, they wouldn't risk upsetting their best warriors. Alec and Isabelle are another story. They are talked about as cowards and the Lightwood name is not remembered as great warriors but a traitors."

"Screw your last name." I scoffed, getting defensive about the way he was talking about my parabati. "If they really want to call Izzy a coward I'll go over there myself cut off their prejudice little-"

"Jessamine!" He told me strictly and I stopped my fuming taking a moment to compose myself. "This isn't something you can fight your way through like some sort of brut. I know you know this, because somewhere in that impulsive  hardheaded savage there is a soldier ready to do anything for the mission. Most importantly there is a refined young lady that knows charm manipulated with intelligence is the greatest weapon." He told me with his voice void of emotion.

I looked down at the ground and nodded. "What do you need?"

"What Isabelle needs is someone to take the attention off her. She has already agreed to play diplomat, but we all know women are judged more by the clave." He's right they weren't only racist they were also extremely sexist, in any regard other than battle. "Your mother wants her to marry."

I felt my breathing stop in my throat, suffocating my thoughts. I started shaking at the thought of Izzy's life being ruined because of their stupid beliefs. Without thinking I threw one of my new daggers at Robert's head. It missed him but only because I was vaguely aware once I was positioning my throw. "You're insane." I hissed completely forgetting who I was talking to. "Like hell she is!" I exclaimed my anger getting the better of me and I pushed Robert back drawing another kunai. Before I even knew what was happening a sharp sting hit the left side of my face.

My body didn't move in the slightest but the slap brought me back. For a moment I couldn't think of anything other than hurting the person in front of me. This was Robert I had taken a knife out on, I realized freezing up. "What do I have to do?" I spoke without emotion.

Robert looked down at the ground in shame and also in sadness? "Her parabati's engagement would take any form of negative repercussions off her."

.

This chapter is boring, but shit is about to go down guys.