| t h r e e

Eunho inhaled a deep breath before turning to face Jiwoo with a nervous look on his face

Eunho inhaled a deep breath before turning to face Jiwoo with a nervous look on his face. Jiwoo patted him on the back. A reassuring smile tugged on his rosy lips. “You’ve got this, don’t be too hard on yourself.” His face lit up like the sun rising at dawn, and relief washed over Eunho like waves rolling onto the shore.

The two men entered the interrogation room, and their stare fell directly on the man sitting down on a steel chair. His head was tilted down to the table, and he carefully lifted it to meet eye contact with both Jiwoo and Eunho.

Jiwoo sauntered to the other side of the table and prepared the camera to film the interrogation, while Eunho sat down across from the suspect, setting his papers on the table. Jiwoo could sense the anxiety radiating off Eunho, and his gaze traced back to the senior lawyers standing behind the soundproof glass, their stare grilling into Eunho’s back.

No one could see them through the glass, but their silent company was enough to pressure the young prosecutor.

He cleared his throat and began, “Mr. Gyeong Haneul, 26 years old. Currently jobless. You’re being charged with attempted murder on Kwon Jun Hae four days ago.” Eunho held an impressed look as he reviewed the case for the umpteenth time that day. He set aside the legal papers and intertwined both his hands together in front of him.

“So, Mr. Gyeong, I believe you’re fully aware of the serial killer on the run, correct?” Eunho stated, challenging the accused with a serious stare. “I’ve carefully reviewed your case and investigated thoroughly without missing a single detail.” He slowly added, an intimidating tone coating each word.

Eunho was always quiet and polite, but his demeanor always changed whenever he’s on the job. Since he was a fresh graduate, he struggled to keep up with the cases that toppled his desk. However, he was passionate about serving justice and unforgivingly prosecuted each criminal he encountered with confidence.

“You’ve meticulously collected every article about him, and the search history on your laptop syncs perfectly with your recent activity. I have a carbon copy of this receipt that shows you bought a long-range pistol the day before you tried to kill Mr. Kwon." Eunho slid the paper on the table to Mr. Gyeong, who sat there calmly, his face caught off guard for just a split second.

“And...? Is it wrong to be interested in the news? I just want to make sure I’ll be staying safe these days. And the gun I have purchased? I’ve got a license to prove I have no motives,” he replied slyly, a deceiving smile painting his lips. “That is nothing but circumstantial evidence; it would be of no use in the court.” Jiwoo disapprovingly shook his head, biting his lip to catch himself from interrupting the interrogation.

“You can keep giving more excuses, Mr. Gyeong, but you can never run away from the truth,” Eunho warned, raising his eyebrows at him. “Let’s cut right to the chase, your motive for attempting to murder Mr. Kwon? He interfered as he noticed you were about to pursue your plan of killing an unsuspecting victim, hence why you bought the gun. You were obsessed with the psychotic mind of a criminal until you became one.”