| s e v e n

Tension hung in the air inside the courtroom

Tension hung in the air inside the courtroom. Despite the ominous atmosphere floating, the courtroom was lit up by the rays of sun that streamed in through the floor-to-ceiling windows lining the sides of the room, giving the courtroom a grand appearance. Ji Woo sat at the spectator area in the back, lightly tapping his polished shoe on the wooden floors anxiously. It was separated with a partition from where all the action happened.

Prosecutor Yang, as well as Seo Hyun's court-appointed lawyer, had just finished their opening statements. It was the time to delve into the heart of the criminal trial: Witness Testimony and Cross-Examination. It was the opportunity for each party to present its key evidence to the judge. Prosecutor Yang fixed his moon-shaped glasses on the sharp bridge of his nose, eyeing the paperwork in his hands. "May I call to the stand, Dr. Kim Tae Wook."

Dr. Kim crossed the barrier that separated the onlooker area from the rest of the court, his eyes momentarily shooting Seo Hyun a poignant look. After taking the oath that swore him to integrity, he began to recount his side of the story. "Mr. Ahn came in with a broken wrist. My schedule was reserved at that time. Despite being his neurologist ergo, Dr. Min operated on him. When she finished, I gave her the list of medications he was taking since he suffered Multiple Sclerosis. On the day she administered him the medicine, we did meet up, but it was a brief chat that was nowhere near work-related. Dr. Min approached me later in the afternoon, asking me to update his medication list and explained that his symptoms had worsened. The next morning I went to check on him, and that was when I found him dead."

"A series of CCTV footage will display on the screen behind me, supporting Dr. Kim's testimony." The projected screen behind Yang played the key scenes that Dr. Kim had previously explained. "Now Dr. Kim, can you tell us your whereabouts during the evening after Dr. Min had given Mr. Ahn the medicine. Why didn't you check on Mr. Ahn?"

"There was a critical surgery that lasted 6 hours, so I had appointed Nurse Kang Aera to check on him and his vitals when she served him lunch and dinner. After she reported to me at around midnight, I had written up a new prescription for him and decided to visit him in the morning since I may disturb him."

Prosecutor Yang nodded, a glint sparking at the edge of his lens as his eyes held a serious tone. "I collected the two prescription lists that Dr. Kim had written and verified it with a neurologist from another hospital to make sure it wasn't dangerous to Mr. Ahn's health." Prosecutor Yang promptly walked to the middle, presenting a report and waving it to the judge before setting it on the table. "Unfortunately, Nurse Kang is currently ill, but we interrogated her, and she provided written testimony."

Prosecutor Yang is just stacking evidence upon evidence to support the witness, a smart move to rule out Dr. Kim once the lawyer tries to cross-examine him. Ji Woo sighed, his thoughts blaring with Yang's skills; it awed and scared him at the same time. His eyes flickered to Seo Hyun, who sat on the other side of the room with a stone-cold expression. Her face was void of anything. She was dull like an unsharpened knife, but Ji Woo could still see the fire kindling in her midnight eyes as she glared at the prosecutor determined to indict her.