| f o u r t e e n

Jiwoo tailed behind the young doctor as she strolled down the narrow pathway, streaks of sunlight piercing through the cherry blossom petals of the towering trees

Jiwoo tailed behind the young doctor as she strolled down the narrow pathway, streaks of sunlight piercing through the cherry blossom petals of the towering trees. Jiwoo didn't understand why, but he felt a sense of duty to watch over her after seeing her silhouette melt into the darkness the other night as he followed her. The hysteria of seeing the blurred shadow of a man has prompted him to keep a close eye on Seohyun since then.

He shoved his hands in the pockets of his brown coat; he watched as soft curls of her hair bounced with each step she took. How is it possible for a busy doctor like her to be bustling with energy each day?

Seohyun stopped for a moment in her tracks, before lifting a phone to her ear and walking again. Jiwoo scowled, his thoughts straying to who could be on the other line. Dr. Jong? Could that be the doctor I saw her talking to that time in the hospital? God, so annoying, she looks so smitten by him as well. "Acting coy doesn't suit you," he mumbled, knowing she would never hear him.

Blinking his eyes, Jiwoo shook his head as he watched Seohyun blur like wisps of clouds touched by a summer breeze. Am I going crazy? Ugh, I'm getting sick just watching her over and over again.

Jiwoo took a sharp turn in his path, not sparing another glance at Seohyun's disappearing back. So bothersome, even with her back turned, she's so goddamn annoying!

He continued his way to the law firm, keeping his disgruntled mood. It didn't get any better just as he arrived. After climbing the long stretch of stairs, from a distance, Jiwoo caught a glimpse of crowds of people flooding the entrance of the grand law firm. They were holding signs and chanting incoherent statements overriding each other. It was pure irony, chaos brewing where justice was supposed to triumph. 7 am, and this shitstorm is happening? There is no way I'm going even ten feet near that hell!

Jiwoo discretely rounded the place, recalling the old entrance, which was exclusive for staff. He gripped onto his suitcase, watching as guards were trying to circle and tame the restless protestors. People were frantically scuttling around, and the chaos just seemed to boil even hotter inside the law firm. "Eunho, what's going on?"

Jiwoo grabbed him by the shoulder as he passed by, eyes wildly bouncing in every direction except to him. "Come," came Eunho's curt reply before dragging Jiwoo down the hallway to his office. The second they arrived, Eunho locked the door and shut the blinds on the small window. He marched straight to his desk, placing his hands on the dark oak while hanging his head low.

Jiwoo watched him from behind, noticing his rigid arm quivering. "The public is outraged! They think I'm slacking off with how long this case is taking!" Eunho was losing his mind, only a breath away from thrashing the case files on his desk and flailing the papers in his office. "God, are you even sure about this lead? What if that girl doesn't even wake up from her coma? Shit, Attorney Kang is going to kill me." Eunho began pacing around the tight space, ruffling his hair up in the process.