| n i n e

Fear is shackles, chaining you down to constant worrying about the unknown

Fear is shackles, chaining you down to constant worrying about the unknown. Fear is a knife in the gut, slowly contorted, unleashing the wisps of anxiety to float around your vision until it blinds you. For Seohyun, fear was a distraction; it was a forbidden luxury that she couldn't afford once she became a surgeon. She was the person her patients would look to for reassurance; reassurance from the uncertainty of what the future held.

But when trepidation strikes into her uneasy heart, who would be there to provide comfort? All Seohyun could do was conceal her worries with a gentle smile and soft voice, one that provided the thing she yearned for, relief.

Ever since she received the threatening text message, she battled with her conscious to stop herself from breaking down into a mess while handling the chaotic influx of patients that poured into the emergency room. I have duties to fulfill, people who are counting on me with their lives.

Seohyun did what she knew best, which was to maintain a calm facade during her job. Despite the disturbing news that would wrack up anyone's nerves, Seohyun kept her cool and worked through the night. The pungent metallic scent of blood floating in the air with patients arriving in the wards like a tragic mess, as well as the commotion brought upon the yelling of lab technicians and ER nurses were enough to distract her.

She consumed every workload to be done that night like a machine. Broken bones, sprains, contusions, cuts, every emergency case that popped up that late at night. She did her job like a star surgeon who mirrored her skilled boss.

"Seohyun, you were on fire. I guess I should expect nothing less of the highest quality from my apprentice." Dr. Jong sent the young doctor a wink, offering her a cup of coffee as they walked down the clear tunnel that connected the two main buildings of the hospital. Streaks of early sunlight streamed through the crystal glass, casting a mellow vivid light to light up the place.

Dawn was now rising, and despite being completely worn out, Seohyun felt every bit of work was worth the compliment she received from Dr. Jong. "What can I say? I learn from the best and then become the best." They both laughed, earning a glance or two from other hospital staff that scurried by. Seohyun took a generous sip of the coffee boiling in her paper cup. It did the trick in heating her insides as if she ignited a fire that burned a washed-out fireplace. "You always praise me generously, Dr. Jong. I don't think I can ever get used to it."

"Ah, but you should. One day, your skills will definitely outshine me. I'm just proud to be called your mentor. Out of all the doctors I've encountered, you're the only one that exceeded my expectations. You're different, and I like that." A charming smile was smoothed on his lips as he nudged his head to the side.

Seohyun could feel a demure blush kissing her pale cheeks, her heart fluttering at his words. That's the first time I heard anyone say they liked that I was different. Pulling strands of hair behind her ear, Seohyun looked away, a giddy smile tugging on the corners of her lips.