| t w e n t y t w o

Seohyun walked along the sidewalk, heading back home

Seohyun walked along the sidewalk, heading back home. The day was now winding to an early evening, shades of muted blue and grey powdered the sky. There was no sunset, no golden promise of a better tomorrow. She lightly rubbed the side of her neck, massaging the stiffness of her bones until it would soften. Her eyes were cast on the ground, and her mind permanently stuck on him.

She had acted rash that night and could feel the guilt trickling in like a leaking pen, the ink of regrets saturating her entire body and leaving her a sticky mess. She hated herself; she hated the same bitter scene replaying in her head like a broken record stuck on repeat.

"Saranghaeyo."

The memory of his smooth, airy voice clouded her senses, like a blanket of silk enveloping her. It was as if his vanilla scent had hypnotized her as she imagined those words over and over again.

Seohyun didn't understand either why she pushed him away. It was like a reflex that naturally came to her, but why? She wished she had the answer to the problems she created.

She sighed, a stinging pain pricking her heart, and letting it bleed until it was an empty cup of angst. When can I wake up from this nightmare?

Lifting her gaze, she could see two men crowded by the gate to her apartment. One was idly waiting as the other was arched by the entrance, trying to unlock it.

"Hey, Seohyun," Eunho greeted as if his bruised face was an everyday appearance. Her lips parted open at the shock of seeing the prosecutor. It was like he took part in a boxing match and was beaten to a pulp. "This? Do you like my new look? It's the trend these days, you know, plastic surgery and all," he rambled on, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere. But he couldn't fool her; after all, she is a doctor.

She shifted her stare to Jiwoo, who opened the gate. She felt her heart drop as he ignored her presence and pretended she was a ghost. She watched as they entered the premises, and she followed suit.

"Wait."

The two men halted in their steps, and Eunho turned to show his disfigured face like a jumpscare from a horror movie.

"Uhh, perhaps you need help with... this?" She gestured to her own face, a pitiful expression glazed on it.

Eunho beamed with excitement at her offer, "How could I say no to free treatment from a doctor?" He flashed her a smile, surprisingly to her, all his perfect teeth were intact.

"Come this way," she mellowed, nervously tucking a fringe of hair behind her ear as she gestured to her apartment. She didn't know what came over her, inviting two men to her place. Well, technically, she knew them. But if people saw her, gossip would ensue the whole neighborhood and perhaps all of Seoul.

Is this my selfish method of longing to see him once more?

She unlocked the door, allowing Eunho and Jiwoo to enter. She kept her eyes on him as if in hopes he would catch her staring hopelessly like a bittersweet song. He whizzed past her with so much as a cold shoulder, leaving her to rot in disappointment.