| t e n

Jiwoo's lips looped into a satisfied smirk at her response, and he could feel the relief washing over his senses like waves crashing over the scattered rocks on a shore

Jiwoo's lips looped into a satisfied smirk at her response, and he could feel the relief washing over his senses like waves crashing over the scattered rocks on a shore. He didn't know what to expect, only banking on a sheer veil of hope that she would coordinate with him. "Seohyun, do you know why I asked for your help?"

No. She pursed her lips together, trying to come up with an impressive guess rather than just a flat denial. Jiwoo bent his head to the side, amused at her profound stirring of thoughts.

"I trust you." Jiwoo beamed a genuine smile this time, one that carried warmth rather than his signature cockiness. "You're a capable woman, Seohyun. I don't think I'll forget how you were able to retrieve that bullet during our early encounters." Seohyun opened her mouth but no words came out, she was left speechless at Jiwoo's sudden change to a welcoming demeanor.

"Speaking of the bullet..." Seohyun's eyes stretched open as her thoughts clicked into action. "I found the bullet hidden in another doctor's office. It's something I haven't told anyone about." Jiwoo's ears perked up at the statement. He held himself back from asking about the suspect and rushing to gather the necessary warrants that would help him easily investigate the case.

"That's damning evidence... It supports my theory that there must be a mole working in your hospital." The hidden security footage, the listening device, it would explain how someone was able to control this case in their favor. Jiwoo stood up from the sofa and ushered his guest to follow him. "I would love to investigate this myself, but too many eyes are watching. We need to assume whoever is behind this is two steps ahead of us." Jiwoo sauntered to the back of his desk, and leaned against the edge of the table. 

"You want me to be your eyes and ears... since I practically live in the hospital?" Seohyun stopped by his desk, observing how his skin drank in the light peeking through the blinds of the windows. His pillowy lips curled into his infamous smirk that charmed any girl who caught a glimpse of him.

"Looks like my wits are starting to rub off on you, but it took you long enough with the hints I'm spoonfeeding you." Seohyun shot him a glare, provoked at his constant mockery that seemed like an accessory he hauled around wherever he went. "The point is, you blend in Seohyun. If I went there to investigate myself, I'd stick out like a sore thumb. You on the other hand, as long as you aren't obvious, anyone would just think you're another busy doctor bustling around."

"But I'm being marked. You saw the threat, right? Their eyes are practically fixed on every move I make." Jiwoo stayed silent as if he wasn't bothered the slightest to the alarming argument she disputed.

"Seohyun, do you want to know exactly who serial killers target?" Jiwoo's eyes were cast on the bulletin board hanging in front of him. Papers were messily plastered all over the board, covering every inch of the surface. And a red string was connecting pictures and articles scampered all over the place, creating one huge entwined web. "They target people they know, people who are... vulnerable."