| t w e n t y o n e

Jiwoo stood there, only the lone midnight breeze comforting him

Jiwoo stood there, only the lone midnight breeze comforting him. He felt his heart shrivel up in his chest as if it were a flower's petals welting in frozen winter. A bitter smile pinned his soft lips, and he sighed.

I shouldn't get used to it

But I'm used to it again

He stepped off the platform and sauntered towards the deck of the rooftop, overlooking Seoul. Millions of lights peppered the many skyscrapers in the distance as if they were doused in stars. The avenues between each towering building were glowing with warm fizzes of light. Cars were blood cells flowing through the veins of the city. Despite the time, the hustle and bustle never came to a halt.

He breathed, the heartache was like red hot coal placed in his chest; it glowed and burnt him at the same time, but it did not cool quickly like coal in water; it throbbed and tortured him until it left ashes to remain.

I guess these simple feelings were all I had

Was it such a sin to be greedy and keep you with me?

Sighing, Jiwoo pulled his phone from the pocket of his slacks. As if on cue, Eunho had sent him a text.

Slipping it back inside his pocket, Jiwoo turned and jogged back to the measly room he came from. As he was leaving the dank storage room, a familiar face flashed before him.

"Oh, what are you doing here? This is staff only." Nurse Kang rose an eyebrow, bewildered to see him just as the door opened. Stepping out, Jiwoo simply shrugged.

"I was looking for someone," he curtly replied, offering a polite bow before walking off.

He winded through the passageways and sharp turns of the halls until he reached his destination. Putting aside personal feelings, he needed to get his act together.

Eunho was already inside, arms crossed over his chest. He loomed by Kitel's bed, eyes trained on the pitiful victim.

Jiwoo approached them, before extending a hand to Kitel. "I'm Mr. Park Jiwoo, the crime investigator in charge of your case." They exchanged a brief handshake before Kitel timidly retracted her hand. "How do you feel, ma'am? If you aren't too well, we can come another time."

Eunho shot a glare at Jiwoo as if he were throwing knives at him. He opened his mouth but didn't get the chance to speak.

"Oh, uh... it's alright. I rather talk now than later. It might help me have a peace of mind," she answered, fidgeting a little in bed.

"Very well." Jiwoo slipped his phone, discretely recording their conversation. "Let's dive straight into business. If it's alright with you, do you think you could perhaps, reiterate what happened that night?"

Kitel nodded once slowly, pausing to aline her thoughts. "I went to the bar that night... I failed my exams and badly needed a drink, you know? Just as I downed a glass of beer, there was this guy at the bar. I was feeling a little tipsy, and he was quite charming, so we made small talk until I found myself just ranting about how dumb I was."