| t h i r t e e n

The morning sun had kissed Jiwoo awake

The morning sun had kissed Jiwoo awake. Flecks of light peeped through the cream blinds, casting thin golden stripes across his sculpted face. He opened his eyes and slowly, stirred awake and stretched his arm. Finally, I'll be discharged and out of this place. Turning to his side, a lopsided smirk was laced on his lips. "Well, well, well, look who we have here," he mused at the doctor fixing the IV bag hanging by his bed.

Seohyun sighed, ignoring his comment. Why did Jisu even have to be off today? She knows I can't refuse if Dr. Jong asks me to cover for someone. She stayed silent, earning a grimace from Jiwoo who rose an eyebrow at her cold demeanor.

"Ignoring me? Not the 'thank you' I expected after saving your life." Jiwoo scoffed, leaning back into his pillow.

"Apologies, you're right. Thank you." Jiwoo bent his head to the side, the corners of his lips deepening the scowl he wore.

How rude, it's as if we're strangers! "Well, I guess that'll do. I'm being discharged today, so you better come around here to help."

"Help you? With what?" It came off as more annoyed than Seohyun had hoped for; she wanted to conceal her bitterness at Jiwoo but didn't know why her poised masquerade fell apart whenever he was around. Almost as if he snatched her mask right off of her face, vexing her with no trace of failure was his talent.

"For starters, you could help me out of my shirt." Jiwoo pointed down to the long sleeve striped blouse that loosely hung to his figure. He then lifted the sleeve on his other arm, revealing a cast that encased it almost entirely. "Great opportunity for you, I'm sure any girl would jump on the offer. Besides, this wouldn't be the first time you've seen what's underneath." Jiwoo sent her a suggestive wink, thrilled by the reaction he gouged out of her.

"I'll go call Nurse Kang for you," Seohyun sneered, crossing her arms over her chest. "If you need help, you can go call for someone else. It's not like you need me anyway." She swiveled around with her lab coat flying behind her. Storming out of the room, she slammed the door shut after her. Heat was boiling inside her head as if she was mentally cooking up a fire. Ugh, fuck, why am I like this? She threaded her fingers through her dark brown hair, brushing out the curls at the tips resting on her shoulders. With frustration brewing in her nerves, she trudged down the hallway, ready to find a nurse stationed in the reception.

"Seohyun, hey, are you okay?" She froze at the mention of her name. She turned around to see Dr. Jong behind her, a curious smile caressing his velvet lips. Seohyun mentally punched herself in the face for passing by her senior without even acknowledging him.

Stupid stupid stupid! She wanted to disappear and burst like a balloon or just restart the day afresh. Now, she felt like an absolute mess; emotionally and physically unstable to handle anything. "Apologies, Dr. Jong. I was just a little preoccupied, I didn't notice you." She forced on a smile that looked out of place from her sharp features, bowing her head in respect.