1.3

1.3
( and life begins. )

☆ ★ ☆

bold and italic = in spanish

iris

When Iris returns home that night, arms occupied with a stack of paperwork on Franklin Graney and statements of witnesses, including Spencer and Morgan and the woman, her mother instantly swamps her in a hug and very closely makes her drop all her paperwork.

"Mama! Mama, I'm gonna drop all my stuff, for God's sake, can I at least put this down?"

"'Can I at least put this down?'" her mother mocks, but still pulls away, allowing Iris to slip into the lounge and place her stack of work on the coffee table. When she turns again, her small, squat mother has her hands on her hips and is staring at her sternly. "I'm going to be having some harsh, harsh words with your boss if he makes you work a long shift again — especially without pay."

"It was for good reason, Ma — "

"Good reason?" her mother scoffs. "Some silly white boy loses his temper, and that means my daughter has to work overtime for free? Ah, yes, that is a good reason!" She shakes her fist in the air angrily, one finger pointed to emphasise the importance of her point, and Iris almost laughs as she picks up her mother's cat — ironically named Cocoa, considering it's a white cat — to take its place in the arm chair of her lounge. "You should go to bed," her mother continues to fuss. "Go get some sleep. I'll make you something to eat."

"Something cold please," Iris says, idly stroking the already purring cat as her mother makes her way through the lounge to the kitchen at the back of the house. "A sandwich, maybe. I've been living on takeaway for the past two days."

She can't exactly hear what is being said, but it's definitely angry, and it's probably in Spanish. Iris smirks to herself with a glance across to the TV, which is playing some craft show about knitting.

The doorbell rings shrilly through the house and her mom curses, probably having dropped something in surprise at the noise if Iris can predict her well enough, so Iris shouts, "I'll get it, mom!" and pushes herself from the couch to trudge toward the door. The cat trots alongside her, but then disappears up the stairs when they enter the foyer.

When she swings the door open, it's Dr. Spencer Reid blinking down at her, as if he's surprised to see her even though he came knocking on her door, with his gelled down brown hair shining golden in the fading summer sunlight.

"Dr. Reid," she breathes in surprise, pulling the door open further and holding it with her hip. "I thought you left tonight."