9.2

9.2
( haley. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

"We understand that Agent Hotchner managed to separate himself from the rest of the team," Strauss begins again, clearing her throat awkwardly in an attempt to maturely move on from what Iris can only describe as a rant.

"He didn't manage to do that," Iris cuts in, voice unintentionally sharp and verging on angry. "When Quagmire was in the ambulance — "

" — Agent Hotchner volunteered to ride along — "

"To get answers before he lost consciousness," Iris interrupts, more than a little irritated and tired of this woman making assumptions, so much so that she's unafraid of questioning her superiors. Which is uncharacteristic for her, a natural people-pleaser.

"Why didn't you go with him?" Strauss asks.

"It wasn't necessary."

"Did he tell you that?"

"I'm not his babysitter, ma'am, and nor is he mine," Iris snaps. "I would have done whatever I thought was necessary, and getting into that ambulance was not." She lets out a dry, humourless laugh. "Is that what you're looking for? A way to blame this all on him? What good could that possibly do?" None, that's the answer. But Strauss is a woman who sits behind her desk and expects complete control, and she's not about good, she's about protocol.

"Agent Hotchner was looking for an opportunity to separate himself from the group — "

"No, we were trying to solve a case, and if you think for even a second that Hotch of all people was so preoccupied . . . " She catches herself, forcing herself to calm down; questioning a superior is one thing, but losing her temper is in a whole different ball game, and it's something she's definitely not allowed to do. Breathing deeply for a moment, she stretches her hands out across her knees, spreading them so they're flat. "No, he wasn't, ma'am, and if you think that you're sorely mistaken," she says, with forced calm.

A moment of silence stretches taut between them. "Tell me what happened while Agent Hotchner was in the ambulance," Strauss orders.

Iris takes a deep breath, gathering herself and her thoughts before she begins. "Haley was in the wind. Foyet got her to come to him by pretending to be another US Martial, and she had dumped her cellphone, so there was no way to track her."

"And now did Agent Hotchner react to that news?"

☆ ★ ☆