7.4

7.4
( fibonacci. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

"Most of us have done extensive post-graduate work in areas such as abnormal psychology and sociology, a-as well as intensive study of relative case work and existing literature."

Unfortunately, and awkwardly, Iris, as the newest edition to the team, is sent away from a day at work, and along to an FBI recruitment program at Strayer University in Herndon, speaking to an auditorium of future agents with Spencer and Rossi. She's a little nervous, sitting on this stage, the light bright and exposing all her flaws, but she's been up there for several minutes now and is finally calming down.

Well, as calm as she can be with Spencer right next to her.

They haven't spoken about anything other than profiles and paperwork since what Iris is not-so-lovingly calling the Hostile Hospital Incident, and the longer they stay silent, the more awkward it's getting. Now, her anger's faded too much to bother her into speaking, and Spencer seems to have... given up. It's like they've both accepted he awkwardness, though neither of them are really moving on.

"But that's after selection to the unit," Rossi continues, seated at the side of the table they've been given, Spencer standing behind him and Iris sat on the other side. "First you have to be an agent, work in the field, and that's what we're here to talk about. For that, the academics are wide open. Everyone in this room, once you graduate, regardless of your course study, is eligible to apply to the FBI."

"What did you study?" a curly-haired, brunette boy from audience asks.

"Criminal Justice," Rossi says. "But Sports Appreciation was all full up at my community college." There's a chorus of laughs, making Rossi smile as he looks at Iris expectantly.

"Oh, I'm a forensic criminologist," she says. "But I have a BA in psychology, too." A few glances of appreciation, especially from the women, come from the audience, and she smiles, feeling better than she has in days, warm all over.

Spencer next. This is gonna be good. "Uh, I — I hold doctorates in chemistry, mathematics, and engineering, As well as BAs in psychology and sociology."

"How old are you?" a tanned girl, hair in tight, black curls, asks with genuine curiosity.

"Uh, I'm twenty-seven," Spencer says, and Iris is tasked with the most difficult thing she's ever done in her life: not letting her eyes burst out of their sockets right in front of Rossi and all the students. She whips around, but Spencer isn't looking at her; but he can't definitely feel her eyes on him as he hesitantly confirms, "As of last month, I turned twenty-seven. I'm — I'm also completing an additional BA in philosophy. Which reminds me that I have a joke."