3.1

3.1
( settling in. )

☆ ★ ☆

spencer

"Morgan, Reid, you might remember Detective Remington from a case we had several years ago. Remy, this is Emily Prentiss."

Any other words fall away as Iris glances down and finds Spencer's wide eyes, and something cracks open inside his chest. He's well aware that he must look like a total idiot: his mouth is open in a comical little o shape, and his eyes were two large circles of white, but hers also widen at the sight of him. The whole universe seems to cave in, and it's just the two of them, eyes wide and staring at each other, for a moment that contains an eternity.

He's be lying if he said he isn't relieved to see her coming to work for the BAU. God, it feels good to see her face again.

She looks simultaneously just the same as she did three years ago, and entirely different. It's almost like she hasn't aged a day, the only sign being her much longer hair and the way she holds herself — less like a teenager fresh into the adult world and much more confident, much more mature. And her smile, radiant and wide, is just the same as it's always been.

He zones back in when Iris looks away and he follows her stare up to Hotch. "JJ has a case for us in the conference room. I'll meet you there shortly." He gestures for them to scatter, and Spencer scampers to do so, fumbling limbs scraping all al his supplies before he follows Derek into the conference room, tripping over his own heel on the way but luckily not losing his balance.

He glances back to look at Iris on his way; Hotch is giving her the same tour Spencer has experienced, along with all the others, and her expression is a familiar one. It's one of worry and panic — she's clearly frantic at the thought of not fitting in. But that's the thing with Spencer's team, he's noticed; everyone does fit in, because working together is the only option when it's a job as difficult as theirs.

"I'm telling you, Pretty Boy," Derek says, holding the door to the conference from open for him and bringing his attention away from Iris, "it's fate or something."

"Shut up, Morgan," he quips, brushing past him to move to his seat.

JJ looks up, raising an amused brow, as Emily asks, "I'm still confused. What's so special about Remington?" Remy, Spencer wants to correct, but he resists the urge. He'd never hear the end of it if he dared to say that, but, luckily, Emily says in a quieter voice whilst looking at JJ, "Other than having really good skin!"

"I know right!" JJ cries.

"She's Spencer's long-lost girlfriend," Morgan answers, winking, and Emily whistles with a laugh. JJ gives a small smirk, almost like she wants to take Spencer's side but just can't help but be a little amused.