5.1

5.1
( coping. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

With the first wave of responders, Emily and JJ are the first at the scene.

Iris is dozing in and out of consciousness, but when she feels cold hands along her forehead, pushing the clammy hairs out of her face and away from the fine sheen of sweat along her skin, she manages to flicker her eyes open.

It's a paramedic sat above her, on her right, and then JJ is sat on the other side of her. She smiles and nods reassuringly, grasping Iris' hand.

Dizzy and hyper-aware of the slowing of her own heartbeat, she lifts her head against the touch of the paramedic, peering down at the two nurses by her left leg. "She's lost a lot of blood!" one of them shouts, barely heard over the sirens, and the words slur together but not because of them — it's Iris. Everything she sees, everything she hears, is smudging together into one big blur.

"Morgan," she breathes, the paramedic by her head pulling an oxygen mask over her head with a band that's elastic but still feels too tight. 

JJ squeezes her hand. "It's okay. It's okay, Remy. He's just over there. You're gonna be okay."

And with that, her mind slips away into the heavy curtains of blackness lurking on the edges of her brain.

☆ ★ ☆

"Is she gonna be okay?"

It's Spencer's voice that shocks her into some kind of awareness.

Iris had been dozing, half conscious and half asleep, for quite a few minutes, but as she rocks up a ramp on the unsteady, squeaking wheels of a gurney and enters the cool air
-conditioned hallways of the hospital, she opens her eyes fully at the sound of her friend's voice.

Her head rolls across to the side, blinking dazedly at the shrinking figure of Emily Prentiss. She's leaving her side for the first time since arriving at the bomb site, instead running toward a shocked Spencer, his skin pale and eyes wide as they lock onto Iris.

"Hey!" he shouts. "Hey, hey, let me through — she's my friend!"

Iris wants to tell him it's okay. Wants to tell him she's fine, she's not in any pain.

But instead, her vision closes up like a pinhole and loses focus, and she falls away from reality once more.

☆ ★ ☆