13.2

13.2
( forgiveness. )

☆ ★ ☆

spencer

Spencer Reid's Friday nights usually consist of reading a couple of books with a glass of wine, maybe listening to the radio or watching a documentary, and then heading to bed; he's had his fair share of social interaction that week to last him until Monday when he goes back to work, and he certainly isn't expecting any visitors as, usually, people call him beforehand.

Which means that when there's a knocking on his door at eleven-thirty, he's mildly (extremely) surprised and very nearly jumps out of his very skin.

Heart picking up speed, his eyes shoot across his apartment to his gun and badge, dropped carelessly on the counter by the stove. He knows what happens now, what criminals do to agents in the dark: he's seen it happen to Hotch and Emily and read dozens of cases on the news.

But before he can leap off the sofa and race toward the weapon, there's a familiar voice shouting from the other side of the door. "Spencer?"

Iris.

His heart stops pounding, but also drops in sadness. He grabs his book again, propping his feet up back on the table, lips pursed glumly; he's just going to ignore her, pretend she isn't there and that he isn't there and that there's no problem between them at all.

"Spencer!" she shouts again. "You're seriously stupid if you genuinely think I'm going to believe you're not in. No offence, but it's you, for God's sake."

"Full offence taken!" he shouts back to the door over his shoulder. May as well give up on his silent game. His door's locked, anyway, so she's not getting in.

Iris sighs loudly, the sound low as a growl.

"You sound frustrated," Spencer calls, turning his page nonchalantly. "Good."

There's a dry thump as her head falls against the door. "Spencer, if you don't let me in," she shouts, "I'm going to yank off my leg and beat you over the head with it."

Spencer doesn't respond, continuing to read, but, even with his genius brain, nothing's really being absorbed at this point and when he reaches the end of the page, he has to stop and go back and reread it.

"Spencer," Iris' voice calls eventually, now a little more confident, a little taunting, "if you don't open this door, I'm going to straight up shout what I had planned through the door, and all your neighbours, including the body-builder downstairs, are going to hear what I say." She pauses. "Do you want me to do that?"