5.3

5.3
( meet the remingtons. )

☆ ★ ☆

spencer

"I'm suddenly feeling extremely nauseous — "

"Spencer, don't chicken out on me."

"No, no, no, genuinely — I'm gonna vomit."

He goes to turn away, but Iris grabs his elbow and pulls him back around as she sings, "Ohh no you don't!"

"Iris, seriously, I'm about to vomit on your mother's carpet, and... andIreallywanttomakeagoodfirstimpression, so — "

"Trust me. You're gonna be fine. They'll love you more than I do. Besides, we're already here."

Which is part of the reason Spencer Reid is so nervous and keeps anxiously trying to fix his unkempt hair. What if Iris' family don't like him? People usually don't, so why would her family be any different? Is his hair okay? Is his face? Is the lighting bad? And what if Iris' family are just as great as Iris and he acts like a dumbass and rambles too much and messes up?

As if on cue, the red door in front of them swings open and Spencer's insides quake briefly as he awaits the unknown — but it's not the unknown on the other side of the door, it's Iris' mom, with familiar deep brown hair and a warm smile framed with wrinkles. She looks much older than she had back in LA; the three years hardly changed Iris, but the same can't be said for Mariah Remington.

He exhales deeply, smiling.

Mariah hardly pays him any attention, lunging forward and seizing Iris in an embrace tight enough to crush bone. With Iris standing on one leg for better balance, it lasts several seconds, the two women rocking side to side, back and forth and muttering in rapid Spanish — of course, it's just his luck that Iris speaks the one European language he knows the least about, but he catches a little every now and then — and by the time they're pulling apart, more women and a kid, maybe three of four, are appearing by the door.

"Iris!" a cousin, he's guessing, cries out with a strong accent. She's the next to swamp Iris in a hug.

"Come in, come in," Iris' mom gushes, the crowd parting to let Iris swing gracefully on her crutches (she's pretty good on those things now, and uses them quite like a weapon at work when Morgan goes a little to far with his remarks about Spencer) through the door — he loses her in the crowd — and turning to Spencer. "Spencer! Ah, Iris told me you'd be coming. Good to see you again."

He smiles tightly. "You too, Mrs Remington."

"Oh, no, no, no — call me Mariah!"