4.3

4.3
( be scared, but do it anyway. )

☆ ★ ☆

spencer

When Spencer, with a breath of relief, bursts from the elevator doors, he breaks into a room of complete chaos. He had only left a few minutes ago, considering when he heard about the bomb blast he raced straight back to the Federal Building, but the office has descended into chaos since he left: workers dash and dart between desks, and a couple of people are shouting, and everyone is gathering around the televisions positioned on the walls, swarming like bugs.

They're all watching the same thing.

Rossi is in the room reserved for their team at the back of the office. But he's the only one there. No Hotch, no Morgan, no Emily, no JJ. No Iris.

"David!" Spencer cries out, picking up his pace as he races over to join the older man by the TV. "I heard on the radio, I came — "

"I know, me too," Rossi cuts in quickly, eyes never leaving the TV; he watches with wide eyes as the reporter gives her speech, speaking with the insincere sincerity only TV reporters can pull off. "We're the only ones here. Apart from Garcia — she's still in the surveillance room."

"A car bomb." It's started, he thinks. "Did they say where?"

Rossi meets his stare, finally. "No," he answers, before he pauses, thinking. "Can you recall every sight where the shootings occurred?" Fairly easily, Spencer lists them, and Rossi nods as he orders, "We need to get Homeland Security in all those places. There's about to be eight suicide bombers in each of them."

"Sixteen, actually," Spencer corrects, even though he hates saying it — dreads to even think it.

"What?"

"Two bombers. One wave, and then a second," he elaborates.

Rossi opens his mouth, maybe in shock or maybe to reply, but then the woman on the television captures their interest, and they both look down to watch the brunette, standing out in the darkness with a fire blazing behind her, a microphone in her hand. "It has just been reported that the bomb was inside an SUV outside Federal Plaza," she says, pressing her finger to her earpiece. "A black SUV."

Spencer's heart drops out of his chest, and he feels the ground hollow out beneath him, feeling squishy and unsteady, like quicksand. Hotch, Kate and Iris went to meet the commissioner — they would have been there, at Federal Plaza. He looks at Rossi, who meets his gaze briefly, but then he snaps out of his grief and returns to Work Mode, grabbing for a phone.